cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5S Repair Question

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, So I upgraded to a iPhone 6 (from my original 5S) and I handed my older iPhone off to a relative.

However, they seemingly misunderstood how to insert a simcard, (as I'd left the sim tray out of the phone, when I'd boxed it for them) and they managed to get the wrong sized sim jammed into the card slot.

I thought it would be a simple fix and took it down to a local 3rd party store and explained, they said they would be able to get the sim out without opening up the device (sounded fair enough as the sim was poking just out of the slot). So I left  it with them for a couple of hours and came back, the sim card was out of the device and I thougt nothing more.

Then I got home and proceeded to turn it on, after correctly inserting the sim card for the relative.

Thats when I got the fact that the home button was no longer working, as in no touchID and no click functionality.

I fear the flex cable that runs between the logic board and the button was broken or is faulty, but it did work prior to the sim removal.

My question is, does any know if O2 will service this kind of repair and the approximate cost. (it is just out of warrenty, isn't that always the way) so I expected some form of cost to come up).

As always, any help is welcome.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Yes please pop back and let us know when it's repaired @Anonymous As it's out of warranty it would be interesting to know how much it actually costs to get it functioning again wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Cleoriff
So I bought a toolkit and replacement button (complete with flex) and set about taking the phone apart.

Bearing in mind it was my first time disassembling an iPhone, I took the phone apart and peeked inside and sure enough could see the original flex cable was worn down as it crossed over a sharp edge of, I believe the microphone casing, inside.

Whole process took about an hour (following a YouTube tutorial, not sure if I'm allowed to link it here) and I'd have to say the hardest part was actually plugging the button into the main board, as I have relatively big hands (hence why I now use an iPhone 6 and not a 5s anymore)

For those interested, total costs (excluding postage, were;

£5.70 for the button
£6.99 for the toolkit (21 piece kit)
1hr of my time.

So when you take apples OOW price of £206.44, take away my costs and I made a saving of £193.75 (not counting shipping costs, allowing for that it's still £180+ in saving)

For those who ever find themselves in this position, it is doable outside of warranty and without going to Apple, but do take your time and be aware that without reprogramming from Apple, you WILL lose the TouchID functionality.
Other than that, happy trails.

Thanks to all those who helped.
Message 12 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Wow @Anonymous that's staggering. So.... for just under £13 you now have a working iPhone!

As you say it is worth remembering the phone was out of warranty so you lost nothing (other than touch ID) by doing this job yourself. Pretty amazing and well done you.

Now if you ever think of setting up a business in mobile phone repairs....you are good to go. Bouncy

Seriously, thanks for reporting back. Good to hear from you wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Well done and just shows what a rip off it is if you're not prepared to have a go yourself.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Cleoriff
I'll definitely consider the idea of phone repairs, but I think I'd learn more on the different fixes/models/types etc before I did anything definitive.

@MI5 I know, hence why I wanted to check here first to see if o2 were cheaper than Apple and if they weren't then I was prepared to dig in and have a go myself.

I enjoy challenges and this while a very fiddly one, was a great one and at least I know what to do in the future if this ever happens again.
Message 15 of 20

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Credit to you mate slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 20

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Good to see that your research paid off @Anonymous! Thanks for the description too :).

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 17 of 20

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Well done, a great sense of personal satisfaction and a big saving thrown in for good measure. Nice one.

Message 18 of 20

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous,

I've made you a thread here just for you wink

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 19 of 20

Sammy_boy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Well done on the repair! It's very satisfying repairing something, saves the phone from the bin too so environmentally friendly! I still use my Touch ID- less 5s sometimes, still a good phone.
Message 20 of 20