cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4 "NO SERVICE GPRS "

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I have a problem with an iPhone I have recently bought. I bought it off an x friend. Anyway, the problem is that when I try putting a SIM card into it, it starts searching for reception then comes up at the top of the screen saying "NO SERVICE GPRS ". I've tried clearing network settings, I've tried switching it off and back on. I've tried airplane mode switching with no success. I've done a lot of searching online to try find some information about fixing it but found nothing. I've checked its imei number and all seems ok. I have no idea how to get this phone working. I would love to get it working as my iPhone 5 battery is now nackerd and has to stay on charge 24/7 to receive calls. This isn't very practical tho as I can not take my iPhone 5 outside with me and cannot be contacted unless I'm at home. Any info on how I can get the iPhone 4 working would be brilliant, cheers 🍺😜👍
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23038 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

It sounds like the phone may be locked to a different network. As you bought it off an ex-friend, is there any way you can find out? 

Are you trying to use the same sim from your iPhone 5? I believe the iPhone 4 uses a different sized sim.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 20

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

I notice you say you bought this phone from an EX friend? I wonder if the phone may have been barred for any reason?

It is possible as bambino says that it is locked to another network...but I hope it as easy as that... and not that the phone has been barred...

Was your ex-friend managing to use the phone all the time with no problems (as far as you know?)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not to sure. I think he had it on a contract with O2. I don't want to post why the x part but I may as well. My x mate got a puppy the same time as me, they were both sisters. A month later he came round to my house and said the SPCA took the puppy off him. I then found out he beat it. I should of done the same to him. Anyway, back to the iPhone. I've checked the imei on various web sites and they all say it's locked to O2. I've tried an EE sim, voda sim and orange. The iPhone says sim failure, invalid sim. I've also tried my iPhone 5 sim with the expandable bit on it to fit an iPhone 4 but it just says " searching " then "no service GPRS" I now think that I am stuck with a flashy iPod rather than an iPhone 4. Thanks for the replys
Message 4 of 20

Bambino
  • 23038 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

Have you tried an O2 sim? If the phone is locked to O2, the other network sims won't work.

If you have an O2 sim from your iPhone 5, sometimes adapters don't work very well. If you're near an O2 store you could get a correct sized sim and they could swap the number onto the new sim for you there.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

At least if you try the phone with the a new correct sim @Anonymous you may be lucky and it could work

That seems the most obvious solution as bambino said. I would take the phone with you to the nearest O2 store and if anything needs doing with the settings it could be done at the same time...As its an iphone I am sure you know all you need to about those ....as you have an iphone 5 as you say

If all fails you may need to get a new battery for your existing iPhone 5 (more expense) wink

Best of luck with it. I hope it works. I also hope it isn't actually barred as I mentioned earlier slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

If you have a local Apple Store you could book a Genius Appointment via http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/ to have a diagnostic run on it. If its out of warranty they wouldn't replace free of charge.

O2 can also tell you if its imei locked if you ring them ,and can tell you what Network it is on.

I woul get a micro sim sized card on payg first just to see if it accepts the right sized SIM card.

They can be ordered here https://www.o2.co.uk/freesim/ or pick one up at a £1 store.

O2 shops do them but ask for £10 top up.

I wouldn't ask an O2 shop to sim swap your tariff and mobile number from your nano sim to a micro sim just yet until you've found out if the iPhone 4 works.

If the micro sim does not work then the phone sounds to be faulty.
Message 7 of 20

MI5
  • 144075 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Does data work (albeit slowly as you only have GPRS) ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nah, the data doesn't work. I've been on the phone to O2 aswell. I've been told it has been blocked and the only way to get it fixed is to tell them the number it was used by. I have no idea either.
Now I'm stuck with an iPod 4. I'm devastated. I'm tempted to try paying a company who claims they can unblock it but I don't feel that I should have to do that. £80 down the drain now gutted. Thanks for the help tho folks
Message 9 of 20

Bambino
  • 23038 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

Doesn't sound like your ex-friend has done you any favours. 

Edited by me.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 20