cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage on iOS 7 not working

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

1st message so please be kind, I couldn't find a thread similar to this topic...

I updated to iOS 7 last night, and now I don't have access to iMessage from my telephone number.  It works with my gmail & iCloud email addresses but not on my phone number.

Plus it hasn't activated yet.  I love my iPhone 5 and it is doing my head in to get it sorted.  I have tried all the work arounds on the web that I can find (reset settings, turn off & on wifi and airplane mode).  Plus I have rebooted the phone.  Strangely I get this or something similar sent to me by text message every time I try to activate it. 

ùéèΩy@@REG-RESP?v=3;r=7c062cb8;n=+447545062465;s=02523CACB1FFFFFFFF5DC73BE887207BC3812FBBD180CEB14C711010C3

The same thing is happening with my wife's iPhone 4 when updated to iOS 7.  I have called O2 couldn't get through as everyone is upgrading, therefore I contacted O2 via chat and they said it is a issue and will be resolved, when?

Does anyone what is going on or what to do?

Message 1 of 107
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

The text that apple sends back that is supposed to activate it is supposed to be a silent sms (it wont come up on your messages) is coming through as a regular text (which the phone doesn't process) I wondered what is unique to o2 over vodafone and 3 which got me thinking about the servers o2 use for TuGo.

I ended up turning iMessage and FaceTime off and totally deleting my tugo account (not signing out). I then removed the app from my phone and rebooted the phone. Once the phone was back up I enabled iMessage and FaceTime without an issue. 

It's obviously TuGo that's not handling the silent text properly. If anyone has a support case open with o2 you might want to ask them to focus on that.

I'm just off to reinstall TuGo.

View solution in original post

Message 37 of 107
106 REPLIES 106

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. Just updated my daughters iPad mini and she couldn't send an iMessage. So sent her one from my iPhone 5 and she could then reply. All working again. Don't know why but all good!
Message 2 of 107

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'm trying to figure out the same issue myself. I can activate but not send anything 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable

It can send imessages with others using email but not telephone number.  But it won't activate, after speaking to O2 this evening I thought it was a O2 issue but seems not...

Message 4 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same problem...Almost.... I have an iPhone 5 (unlocked ,bought from Apple) and on a sim only deal. My Mrs, has a 4s (unlocked, bought from Apple) pay as you go deal.

Mine is showing the same symptoms, hers is fine.

The one difference i have noticed is in the settings, her modem firmware version is 5.0.00 and mine is 5.0.01

when I first updated the phone, I was told there was a carrier update, I accepted it.

I then had the symptoms. When she updated hers i told her not to accept the update and hers doesnt show and syptoms.

Now whether or not this is relevant , or the firmware difference is a 4s vs 5 thing, I do not know. Ive been on to apple support, who advised me to restore the phone to factory settings and try to start again. but withing a minute of starting the phone, i get the gobbledegook message, and i message still doesnt work properly.

Logic tells me its an issue with these carrier settings, so maybe all we can do is wait till o2 and apple sort this out.

I might grab a pay as you go sim card and test it with that 

Message 5 of 107

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I don't think it's O2 specifically as we have a Giffgaff sim in the iPhone....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable
I accepted the carrier update and am not having these issues on my iPhone 5.

iMessage is working fine.

Message 7 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable

My modem firmware is 5.00.01 too, and I did accept a carrier update, maybe that is it.

It is still really frustating that I can't get it to work, need to calm down!

Message 8 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's what mine is too.
Message 9 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable
I assume you've gone tho all this.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4268

http://www.igeeksblog.com/fix-imessage-waiting-for-activation/

Some have said a restore can solve this.
Message 10 of 107