O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Level 25: Hard Hitter
Fatboy

iMessage, does it use data to send the iMessage

I use iMessage to keep in touch with around 4 people who I know who have iPhone's. I was wondering if iMessage uses any data out of my data bolt on when it sends the iMessage.

Thanks in advance.

apple logo photo appleMac.jpg

iPhone 6 Plus 64GB Space Grey

If my suggestion has helped or solved your issue, can you please come back and post a reply with an update. Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
Janitor_1999

Re: iMessage, does it use data to send the iMessage

Yes if you have no data connection it will revert to a standard text message. Not sure how much it uses though, shouldn't be a lot .
Please use plain text.
Fatboy

Thanks for the help, its much appreciated.

If my suggestion has helped or solved your issue, can you please come back and post a reply with an update. Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Fatboy

Just an update as to data usage.

I noted down my data used via the My O2 website before sending just a standard text only iMessage. Before sending it, my data used figure was 461 kb, after sending the iMessage my data used was 485 kb. So the iMessage (text only) that I sent used 24 kb.

Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
TerryUK

[ Edited ]

Sounds about right, don't forget if you are on Wi-Fi it won't use any of your data from your bolt-on :smileyhappy: The 24kb figure you got may be a little more than just an iMessage, your phone is always sending and receiving data as it likes to check for updates, check for e-mails and push notifications as well as sending diagnostics information back to Apple all behind the scenes.

This O2 Video explain's a little more:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37dZAJaG_p8

Please use plain text.
Fatboy

TerryUK wrote:

Sounds about right, don't forget if you are on Wi-Fi it won't use any of your data from your bolt-on :smileyhappy: The 24kb figure you got may be a little more than just an iMessage, your phone is always sending and receiving data as it likes to check for updates, check for e-mails and push notifications as well as sending diagnostics information back to Apple all behind the scenes.

This O2 Video explain's a little more:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37dZAJaG_p8

Thanks for the help both, it's much appreciated. :smileyhappy: Re "The 24kb figure you got may be a little more than just an iMessage, your phone is always sending and receiving data as it likes to check for updates, check for e-mails and push notifications as well as sending diagnostics information back to Apple all behind the scenes" I have my iPhone set to not download apps using mobile data in the App Store settings, so I wouldn't have expected thought that it would be able to check for updates with this setting disabled. Also, I have Push switched off and also Fetch. Basically I manually check for email as and when I require. All other apps that can use Push, I do not use this either. Also I have the 'send diagnostic data to Apple' switched off. When I checked the data used, I sent an iMessage, then I switched my iPhone off immediately after (has I was going to bed). The next morning (before I switched my iPhone back on) I was on my PC and I logged into the My O2 and checked my data used. So with the iPhone been turned off all night, it would have been impossible for it to have sent or used any mobile data. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.