Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage Problem

PiedPiper
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 98 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My partner and I were both away in London at the weekend during which time we sent each other a few text messages, none of which arrived. On investigation I noticed that iMessage, which I normally keep disabled, was enabled on both phones and I can only presume that this was enabled by the iOS9 installation. The result was that none of the messages arrived, even when we were both using the same hotel wifi later on.

This was easily cured by turning off iMessage, simple, but what am I missing here? Can anyone shed some light on what is going on, or not going on to be precise? In there days of unlimited text message contracts what is the point of iMessage?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

PiedPiper
  • 98 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Don't worry Fatboy - I buy unlocked phones from Apple and use a Simplicity sim on a one month rolling contract. So changing is no issue.

Also I did get an EE payg sim some months back and it's a little better. By better, I mean O2 gives me one bar of 3G under perfect conditions, upstairs with window open whereas EE gives a solid 3g signal all over the local area. There's no 4G for 20 miles unfortunately.

Message 21 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PiedPiper wrote:
Don't worry Fatboy - I buy unlocked phones from Apple and use a Simplicity sim on a one month rolling contract. So changing is no issue.

Also I did get an EE payg sim some months back and it's a little better. By better, I mean O2 gives me one bar of 3G under perfect conditions, upstairs with window open whereas EE gives a solid 3g signal all over the local area. There's no 4G for 20 miles unfortunately.

Exactly what I do (buying unlocked from Apple). Or well in that case you should be fine with EE. I expect 4G should come soon (if there only 20 miles away) I've found the 4G coverage upgrade has been very fast from what I've experienced.

Message 22 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was a late convert to WhatsApp, only trying it as a means of staying in touch with friends abroad without incurring any charges. Most of my friends are iPhone users (as was I until recently), but they're all using WhatsApp, and unless I've just been lucky, it does seem to be more reliable than iMessage. It's a free download for the first year, and a 69p annual subscription there after.

I haven't used it for voice calling, so I don't know how it measures up in that respect. But it's certainly worth downloading to try out.
Message 23 of 24

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Voice calls are fine as they are on Line, Messanger and Viber. Being in Thailand everyone has at least one of these combined with WhatsApp. 

Message 24 of 24