cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help using my iphone 6 plus in the usa

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi can any one give me some help regarding using my iphone 6 plus in new york ?

my hotel has wi-fi which will charge me daily 😞

but if i use it in the hotel i shouldnt get extra charges from o2 for that on my return should i ?

if i want to use free wi fi only while out and about how is it best to do this without getting charges ? ( my phone has data roaming turned off )

i contacted o2 but their only advice really was to put my phone in flight mode , but i can't call or text with it like that !

has any one been to america recently that can offer any advice ?

Message 1 of 27
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
You won't be charged by O2 for any wifi use, you will be charged for mobile data that can easily be disabled in the settings.
Make sure data when roaming is disabled
I always disable actual mobile data when here too just before I leave, iPhone sometimes enable data by themselves for some "battery saving" reason which makes no sense.
By disabling mobile data and roaming data you have a failsafe and O2 won't charge you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
You won't be charged by O2 for any wifi use, you will be charged for mobile data that can easily be disabled in the settings.
Make sure data when roaming is disabled
I always disable actual mobile data when here too just before I leave, iPhone sometimes enable data by themselves for some "battery saving" reason which makes no sense.
By disabling mobile data and roaming data you have a failsafe and O2 won't charge you.
Message 2 of 27

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
And if O2 told you to put it in flight mode to avoid wifi charges, that person has no idea what they are talking about and needs retraining.
Message 3 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

Listen to @viridis . That's the best advice I can think of for Iphone. There's quite a few cases of customers that have switched just data roaming off and still end up with charges...and for some strange reason they are all Iphones...

Message 4 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Yes I think @viridis has it all covered. One of our members @Bambino is from New York and travels there frequently. I wonder if he may have other helpful advice to offer? Enjoy New York by the way. Lucky you..:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 27

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23046 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

The best way to avoid charges from O2 while in the US is to get your phone unlocked, take the O2 sim out of the phone, and use a Pay & Go sim from a local provider. There are hundreds and hundreds of free WiFi hotspots in NY. Just ask anyone. If you need to speak to people in the UK, use Skype or Facetime over WiFi.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks very much for all the advice ! I though the flight mode comment was a bit bizarre!! @viridis can I just ask , my data roaming is off how do I disable actual mobile data ? Not sure if I am looking in the right place !
Thanks again everyone - feel a bit easier about using my phone now !
Message 7 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous to turn mobile data off, go into settings>mobile>mobile data & swipe the toggle to turn it off
Message 8 of 27

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
That ^^
Message 9 of 27

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144149 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
You will still get charged for sending texts and making and receiving calls though.... Just checking that you realise that so there's no surprises later on?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 27