cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can i unlock phone to change network

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have an old O2 phone i've been using on Giffgaff, so didn't need to unlock. I now want to change networks, can i get O2 to do this? I've looked at the online form and you need to select either monthly or PAYG and i'm neither as i left a year ago. I don't have my old O2 sim anymore, so can't put that in

Thanks  

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93175 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Yes that's all you need to do. You won't get an unlock code as Apple unlock it directly. You will get an email or text saying it's unlocked. Just put another network sim in after the unlock and you should be good to go.

iPhones don't need to be on the network for 12 months.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

jonsie
  • 93175 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

You would need to get a P&G sim and put £20 credit on there, make a few calls so that it registers on the network and leave £15.00 credit on there to pay for the unlock. Then fill in the form and O2 will email you the code (unless iphone).

Message 2 of 8

MI5
  • 144152 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Community help thread here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for you help, but my phone is an iphone (although only a 4), so does this mean I can't do it?
Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 144152 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

Yes you can unlock an iPhone, all the details on the link I posted.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry, I'm a bit confused, as it says the PAYG phone needs to have been on the network for 12 months first, but then says about if you buy from eBay just get sim and make a couple of calls as suggested above
Message 6 of 8

jonsie
  • 93175 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Yes that's all you need to do. You won't get an unlock code as Apple unlock it directly. You will get an email or text saying it's unlocked. Just put another network sim in after the unlock and you should be good to go.

iPhones don't need to be on the network for 12 months.

Message 7 of 8

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

As it's a 4 you may have to hook it up to iTunes with a non O2 SIM to complete the unlock process, once done it's permanent though.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 8 of 8