cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi connections - passwords being rejected

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

I have encountered a problem with my iPhone 4S when attempting to connect to my Wifi in the house and other places. "Incorrect Password" comes up. I know for a fact it is the correct password. My girlfriend and our daughter can connect to Wifi with no issues. I have tried everything and now my iphone won't back up so I cannot do a factory reset without losing loads of data. Please help somebody. I have ssen on other forums that this is actually a fairly common problem which Apple has not got a fix for. It is costing me a fortune for 3G access every month which it shouldn't when I pay for good quality broadband which I cannot use.

Need some help and fast!!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Try a soft reboot by pressing the top button and home button until the apple logo appears and then let go. No data is lost with this.

Also try and Go into your settings and choose "forget this network" and then try again.

Settings. Wifi and choose your router.

Take into account the wep code is case sensitive.
Message 2 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
You could also try different security settings on the router.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried all of these things. No option to forget the network either.

I have reset all settings etc which is a step short of full factory reset.

Not a thing has worked.

Even got access via the laptop to do some poking about the router security settings as well but the only thing I can do is turn all security off which obviously cannot be done as it leaves the system wide open.

Message 4 of 18

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Just turn off the security as a quick test to see if it is a security issue.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Book at appointment with the Genius Bar at your most local Apple store for them to check it over.

http://concierge.apple.com/reservation/gb/en/techsupport/
Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly the same problem. Apple 'Genius Bar' is  ... not a genius at all. Only suggestion was to do a complete factory reset of the phone (iPhone 5s iOS 8.1) and try then, which made the problem even worse. The only way I could resolve this was by temporarily disabling security on the wifi router.

Getting more and more problem with iOS8.1 every day. Latest issue is that headphones connected cause iTunes to freeze up when trying to answer the phone by pressing the button on the (Apple) in-ear headphones.

UPDATE: It appears that iOS 8.1 has an issue with WPA2 passwords. Only way I can get the password to work is via selecting 'Other' as a wifi network, manually entering the SSID, selecting the security type as WPA2 and then entering the password.

I think I am going to downgrade back to iOS7.1

Message 7 of 18

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
iOS 8 isn't Apples crowning glory......

Currently using:
Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree I many have been hit with the wifi bug that was addressed with iOS 8.1 but seems to have worked for some.

My iPad air suffered from this but seems to be behaving itself at the moment.

You can send feedback to apple via https://www.apple.com/feedback/ and it looks like a new iOS patch update is being tested.

Could they latch onto apples wifi in store with your phone ? Did they try ?
Message 9 of 18

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 10 of 18