cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my phone automatically sending media messages without my knowledge?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm very careful to only send text messages, yet my latest bill shows that I've paid over £60 on 'media messages'.

I don't understand how this can be - certainly I keep every text that I send so I can see that I haven't sent photos to the people on the calls list.

So what's going on? Why is my phone randomly deciding to send expensive media messages when it feels like it, and without my consent? Can any one help?

Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry OP, we digress.

I appreciate it hasn't happened to you, but I can assure you it has and does happen to others.

From Apples own website - Not using group messages.
"If you send a message to multiple recipients without group messaging in use by the sender and all recipients, an individual message will go to each recipient using either SMS or MMS"

Using group messages.
"Group messages will be sent using iMessage if all recipients have iMessage enabled. If not, the conversation will be sent as MMS. Group messages use MMS even if the content is text only."

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you sent any messages containing emotions as these are charged as mms also very long messages can be charged as mms
Message 2 of 17

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You may need to make a few checks this may help:

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe?New,KB=Companion,T=guruCase,VARSET_COBJID=52283,P...

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your replies. I don't send emoticons (except crappy homemade ones like this: 🙂

Long messages: well that's possible. I'll have to check every text! But I can't imagine that I've been sending £60+ worth of long messages in a month...!

Will also check that link.

thanks, folks. 

🙂

Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I've checked the link and it looks like it's most likely down to sending long messages, though I haven't yet checked my bill records against the saved copy of the messages yet.

But annoyingly, my phone sometimes shows the character counter and sometimes not. Grr. I shall have to look into this.

Message 5 of 17

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Let us know what you come up with.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
It sometimes also converts to MMS if you add a subject to a text or send it to multiple people. You can turn the subject heading off in the messages settings menu.

Must admit i nearly do this a lot myself but keep an eye on it converting so just delete a bit and send in a 2nd text.
Message 7 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Let us know how you get on it's worth giving O2 a ring if it's the first time you've been caught out you never know they might just credit you some or all of it back if you don't ask you never know slight_smile
Message 8 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm inclined to think that you may have inadvertantly entered text into the Subject field in Messages, I've nearly done this before. Entering text in the Subject field instantly turns a standard text message into a MMS (Media message).

I have used Emoji (emoticons) many times and I've never received a MMS charge.

I've also sent extremely long text messages and I've never been charged a MMS charge.

I've also sent the same text to over 6 people at once on many occasions and I never received a MMS charge.

I made this video guide that shows how to turn off the Subject field, which then stops the possibility of inadvertantly entering text into the Subject field and thus turning the standard message into a Media (MMS) message.

Although this video guide is for iOS 6, the instructions are the same for iOS 7.

Message 9 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

But annoyingly, my phone sometimes shows the character counter and sometimes not. Grr. I shall have to look into this.

If you go into Settings/Messages/ then scroll down you will see Character Count, switch this on and it will show you the amount of characters typed.

But nowadays there is no 160 character limit for text messages, so a Character Count is pretty much of no use now, other than for curiosity sake, to show how many characters have been typed.

Message 10 of 17