cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I stand? Iphone 4 1 year into contract. Stopped working

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! I'm wondering if anyone can help me? I've had my iPhone 4 for a year now and I'm just about to pay Aprils bill so I will have 11 months left to pay. My iPhone has now stopped working, I do not recieve calls and txts and 99% of the time I have no service. I have phoned o2 and haven't recieved any useful advice. I have wiped the phone completely and restored everything from iCloud and it made no difference!

I refuse to pay for a phone I cannot use. Can someone help me? I'm paying £27.72 a month and it's not worth it when I can't use the phone! (Sorry for the rant.)

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

You are not forking out for the handset as such but network access.

Have you taken the handset to be checked at apple? This is either a handset issue or sim or local network issue (if it happens in 1 location)

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Guide-Differance-between-SOGA-and-warranty-exten...

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Self-help-guide-Is-the-network-down-for-me-or-ev...

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Best advice is to make an apple genius appointment as it is only just out of warranty they may help you with a free replacement or at least help in diagnosing the issue has o2 sent you a new sim to eliminate sim issues?

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had 2 new sims in the past year. In my contract it also says that I can cancel it if I am having signal problems but i'm not sure if thats only within a certain timeframe? I brought this up with O2 and they said cancelling was not an option! Surely as a consumer I have the right to use the product that I am forking out for?

Message 3 of 14

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

You are not forking out for the handset as such but network access.

Have you taken the handset to be checked at apple? This is either a handset issue or sim or local network issue (if it happens in 1 location)

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Guide-Differance-between-SOGA-and-warranty-exten...

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Self-help-guide-Is-the-network-down-for-me-or-ev...

Apple Watch series 4

Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, i've had 2 sims over the past year.

Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

It could be argued that you should take the phone back to O2 under the Sale of Goods Act and give them a chance to repair the phone, offer you a replacement or give you discount off a new one.

One year is not a "reasonable amount of time" when you are contracted for two years...

Where did you get the phone from? (online or in store?)

Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got it from the store.

Message 7 of 14

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Under SOGA the end user after 6 months has to prove the fault existed at point of delivery see my guide above and its links this could cost the op money to get an engineers report .

Apple Watch series 4

Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

If, and its a big IF, the phone hasn't been dropped, submerged or similarly damaged then its safe to say that the problem probably existed when it was purchased especially if this has been happening for the year that the OP has had the phone.

An engineers report would probably be cheaper than a new phone...and thats only if O2 were to ask for one. I would still query it in the store where I bought the phone if I was having problem with my phone so soon. A phone should last a "reasonable length of time" and as far as I'm concerned that should be at least the two years of the contract that has been signed up to, which would also make it "fit for purpose".

If O2 don't think a year is a reasonable length of time for a phone to remain working then they should start letting people know their phone won't be fit for purpose after 12 months when they sell a 24 month contract...

Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have to agree with you papa dug 1 year is certainly not reasonable time on a handset of that value although I think I would be inclined to go to apple first if they replace free happy days if not then fight it out with O2
Message 10 of 14