cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird ... iPhone 6 suddenly can't send email over 4G/3G

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Until today I had no problems at all with 4G/3G.

All of a sudden today, I can't send emails on either of my 2 virginmedia accounts.

I can still receive emails no problem.

I can still send texts, make calls, browse the net ... no issues whatsoever

I just can't send emails! Crazy

It seems that it can't authenticate the SMTP server.

However, when I got home, switched wireless on and connected to my home network ...  no problems whatsoever.

Turn off wireless and I I can't send again.

O2 stated initiallly that since it worked on my wifi it clearly showed the network was ok.

Huh? Utter rubbish since we are talking two different networks ... it actually suggests the Virgin one is fine and the O2 network is not fine.

They suggested deleting my email accounts and re-enterring them.

Huh again?  clearly they are ok since they still work on wifi.

Just to please them so they could put a tick on their piece of A4 paper, I did it to one account anyhow and sure enough it didn't do anything.

(basically the equivalent of your ISP who suggests that switching everything off and on again will cure all known faults :smileytongue:)

Then of course I get the "Well it's email and we don't support email problems" and I should get in touch with my ISP.

Thanks O2, I'll remember that when renewal time comes round.

Naturally my ISP, though much more helpful than O2, could only suggest it was a problem with the O2 network.

O2 are adamant that it isn't. Smiley Frustrated

Anybody else experienced anything similar or know if there's a fix please?

Cheers

Mark

Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just pinged the smtp server and it is reachable - I am on virgin media, maybe it is a routing issue with O2 and it can't find the server.

Message 21 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
I do have password entered, I always have. I was just informed today that I don't strictly need it (on non ssl I think he was referring to...not sure about ssl)
Message 22 of 52

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Well it's not o2 network in general because mine is working fine.
It's either your phone or settings or you have a local issue.
PS, I'm not a noob either wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous I wasn't suggesting that at all actually, just merely ascertaining that you have tried everything possible & not missed anything slight.

Give @MI5 advice a go & see what happens
Message 24 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are 100% sure your settings are correct and the passwords are correct etc - and it's working over WiFi it must be a routing issue O2's end. Give it a few hours and maybe try again.

Message 25 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
To add & reiterate an earlier post of mine, Definitly not O2 related, mine is absolutely fine, been sending all afternoon
Message 26 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not suggesting you are a noob at all and I appreciate all your suggestions.

I'm actually an avionics systems engineer so I'm pretty good at fault finding (not specifically this sort of thing obviously),  but when something suddenly goes bang (in this case two email accounts on only one network), it's usually the common denominator which in this case seems to be O2. 

I was hoping somebody else would shout "yeah I can't send either" dammit slight_smile

Sadly not.

Message 27 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
To add & reiterate an earlier post of mine, Definitly not O2 related, mine is absolutely fine, been sending all afternoon

You've been sending via the smtp server mentioned all afternoon? Irrespective if it's working for you there could be a routing issue specific to an location that doesn't effect you but will others. 

Message 28 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have tried all your suggestions ... several I'd already attempted prior to posting.

I kinda think it may be djbsuffolk's suggestion of a routing issue somehow though since I can still receive I'm not sure what that could be.

Message 29 of 52

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Try the settings I gave you exactly and if they still fail it will prove it is a routing issue in your area.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 30 of 52