cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning for those who are going to install iOS 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if this has been mentioned before and I couldn't see any recent posts in the Apple thread, but thought I better post this before everyone starts hitting that update button at 6pm.

For those of you who use iCloud and are planning to upgrade your iPhones and iPads to iOS 8 today, you need to be aware of a potential problem for your other devices that will not get upgraded to iOS 8 or if you have a Mac computer.

When you upgrade to iOS 8 it will ask you if you want to upgrade your iCloud to iCloud Drive, but be aware any iOS device not on iOS 8 or any Mac computer which doesn't have OS X Yosemite (not yet released to public) will not be able to sync with your new iCloud Drive documents, and you can't downgrade away from iCloud Drive.

I will still upgrade to iOS 8 at some point this week but when I do, I will not upgrade to iCloud Drive until Yosemite is released for the Mac.

See full article here

http://www.tuaw.com/2014/09/16/be-aware-be-careful-be-prepared-for-icloud-drive/

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the heads up.

I'll certainly take that info on board

Another link here http://www.cnet.com/how-to/a-word-of-icloud-drive-advice-before-updating-to-ios-8/

slight_smile
Message 2 of 10

McGrath1982
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 49 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I've got IOS 8 on my iPhone 5s and iPad Air and OSX Yosemite on my MacBook Pro I must say I do find Yosemite much better than mavericks and loving the Dark Mode theme on Yosemite.
Message 3 of 10

Huntress
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 242 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Anonymous Many thanks for this.  Whilst I'll still upgrade to iOS 8 on my iPhone and iPad, I certainly won't be selecting iCloud Drive as I have both a Mac Book Pro and an iMac and like you will wait for OS X Yosemite.

Very useful post.

Life is just a game, the rules of which are only explained to us when the game is over.

MacBook Pro
iMac
iPhone X 256gb
iPad 64gb
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I assume you're on a developers account.

Was Yosemite a seamless upgrade.

I'm hoping to put it on my MBA to replaced OS X Mavericks.

Message 5 of 10

Huntress
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 242 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@McGrath1982 I'm assuming you are a part of the Developer Programme to have iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite already? Are you happy with Yosemite?

Life is just a game, the rules of which are only explained to us when the game is over.

MacBook Pro
iMac
iPhone X 256gb
iPad 64gb
Message 6 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

I believe you need around 3gb  of space so something else you need to be aware of. Better to start making room now rather than haphazardly deleting stuff in panic. 

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I plan on installing it on my ipad 4
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Very true jonsie

I allot to upgrade via iTunes as it's a lot smaller file that way too.
Message 9 of 10

McGrath1982
  • 49 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Huntress Yeah I paid to be in the Developer Programme. IOS 8 and Yosemite are a great update from Apple IMHO. In Yosemite the translucency is good I'm loving the Dark Theme mode atm. But the biggest talking point is the new flat design. Can't wait to try out handoff (continuity) with all my idevices.

Message 10 of 10