cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual voicemail keeps going off, and phone forwarding icon keeps appearing

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I am on a monthly pay 4G package with O2 with my iphone 5S.

EVery two or three days, visual voicemail switches off saying there is an error with visual voicemail. When this happens, voicemails are left for me, but the caller does not hear my personalised OGM and I have to call in to listen to voicemails - and I get no notification of new voicemails. If I power down my iphone and switch it back on, visual voicemail is restored. But then a day or two later, it all happens again 

Another thing I have noticed, is that when I switch my iphone back on after having powered it down, the call forward icon appears on the phone, even though I have not set call forwarding. To celar this I go into settings - phone - call forwarding. this shows that call forwardins is indeed off, and as soon as i reach that screen in settings, the call forwarding icon goes away - and so does my 4G connection. I then have 3G connection for a while and then magically 4G returns after several minutes.

Thsi is all comepletely repeatable - happens every time

Yesterday I noticed that exactly the same things are happening on my wife's iphone 5 - and she is on an EE package

What is going on? 

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

there is a thread about this issue on here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/Call-Forward-icon-keeps-appearing-here-s-... it is an old one but may help

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Others have had various issues with this service from O2 and if you perform a search on the forum you may come across possible solutions.

Have you contacted O2 on 202 just to have your account checked.

Frustrating times. 😞
Message 2 of 16

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Re call farwarding must be some sort of ios bug if on 2 different networks and handsets

But not seen it on my 5s ios 7.1 (unless 4g area related as no voice over 4g yet)

Could you turn 4g off in settings and see what happens when you turn the iphone off and on

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

Yes I agree these must be an iphone 5 or IOS 7.1 problems as they happen on both O2 and EE

The visual voicemail error and the call forwarding cion error both occur peridically on my 5S on O2 and on my wife's iphone 5 on EE

Both of us are also on 4G - so I guess it could be a 4G netork issue rather than an IOS issue

I have posted the problems on the Apple forums too - but have no answers yet

Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you checked your on the most recent iOS 7.1 and that you don't have any pending carrier updates.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1970
Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your post bandofbrothers. Unfortunately I have made sure both phones are fully up to date on updates, as you describe in the link

This problem has been happening to me for about 5 months now. I have had several updates to teh phone in that time. My hunch is that it is a 4G vs 3G problem - but I do not know if is for Apple of the carries to fix - and I can get no answers from either 😞 

Message 6 of 16

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous if on ee and o2 sugests that it is an apple issue rather than a carrier file issue.

Have you tried the turn off 4g and let the phones start in 3g/2g mode to see if the divert is replicated?

Apple Watch series 4

Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just thought it worth mentioning some generic solutions.

One avenue could be an Apple Genius Bar appointment just to have a diagnostic run
Although as said if it's occurring on other handsets it does sound like a compatibility issue.

Perhaps @Toby could feed thus back.
Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks adamtemp64

I jsut did what you suggested - switched off 4G (so it went to 3G). The powered down the phone, and back on again. The call forwarding icon does reapper in this scenario too. It goes again when I go into the call forwarding settings as described earlier.

So you are right - maybe not a 4G problem after all, is it is replicated on 3G too

Message 9 of 16

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

there is a thread about this issue on here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/Call-Forward-icon-keeps-appearing-here-s-... it is an old one but may help

Apple Watch series 4

Message 10 of 16