cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my phone in Germany

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey guys, I am currently In Germany and will be for a few weeks. I have an iPhone 5C on O2 PAYG.
I bought a prepaid German O2,card, but when I put it in the phone It comes up with an error message saying the SIM is invalid.
I'm assuming this is some kind of regional lock preventing the use of foreign SIM cards.
Does anyone have any idea how to remove this? Is rather not pay extortionate prices to call and text all my German friends and is rather not replace my phone!
Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Yes O2de and O2-UK are seperate entities which is why the German sim card won't work.

Message 11 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Just to clear up any confusion I was typing at the same time Jonsie made the post so didn't see it.

And I, of course, made my post in jest .....(just to clear up any confusion).....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
If you can't get it unlocked you can buy a cheap sim free phone just to use your German sim card in and make use of the O2 travel rates on your UK phone whilst you are there for calling home.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 13