Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using iPhone In Spain

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

When I go on holiday I usually use my iPhone with the O2 sim and it will swap to Movistar when I get there.  Even though I am on unlimited texts to UK mobiles (capped at around 2000 I believe), it charges me to send texts, which I know it happens to everyone as it is outside the UK so obviously charges will always apply. 

I have read posts about unlocking the iPhone, which I want to do as I have also read that, even though I purchased it unlocked from Apple, as soon as I put the O2 sim in it then it locked to O2.

My question is, if I get my phone unlocked and then when I am on holiday, could I purchase a Movistar sim and use it? Will my iPhone work with that sim? Will it be any cheaper for calls, texts and data? Movistar is the only network that I know in Spain.

I know that people recommend using wifi when possible and using apps like whatsapp, viber and bbm, however not everybody use that.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I hate companies who try to con people and put the important information in the small print as 9 times out of 10 they know that most people won't bother reading the small print.

They should make all of the information clear in their adverts and then further explain it before selling it to a customer.

Message 11 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gemz4the1 wrote:

I hate companies who try to con people and put the important information in the small print as 9 times out of 10 they know that most people won't bother reading the small print.

They should make all of the information clear in their adverts and then further explain it before selling it to a customer.

It was a nightmare and certainly blew up in their faces !

I got hold of one of their newspaper adverts and it did have a disclaimer on it but was not as prominent as their promotion to say it was available sim free !

Message 12 of 22

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Companies care more about their target sales nowadays rather than customer service. 😞

Anyways, back to the thread, I will let you know when the EE sim arrives and whether it works in my iPhone.

Now it's time for me to contact Apple again regarding the iMessage issue that i'm still having 😞

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/Sending-As-iMessage-Instead-Of-Text/m-p/6... 

Message 13 of 22

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Just to update you:

The EE nano sim arrived and I put it in the iPhone and it works.  So I guess the iPhone really is unlocked.

The signal strength is actually stronger with the EE sim that it is with the O2 sim slight_smile

Message 14 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gemz4the1 wrote:

Just to update you:

The EE nano sim arrived and I put it in the iPhone and it works.  So I guess the iPhone really is unlocked.

The signal strength is actually stronger with the EE sim that it is with the O2 sim slight_smile

Awesome.

Worth me asking then wink

Message 15 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 will unlock it for you - just ask a Guru... Just had mine done for the same reason slight_smile

Message 16 of 22

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

O2 will unlock it for you - just ask a Guru... Just had mine done for the same reason slight_smile

Presumably it's not a 6 or 6 plus unless the device has been paid off in full. 

Message 17 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Well as this thread is 18 months old I suppose whatever iPhone it was....has been unlocked by now Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 22

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
It was never locked in the first place either.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 22