O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Apple iOS Devices (iPhone, iPad)

Level 2: Apprentice
01steven

Using UK iPhone in USA

[ Edited ]
Hi
My wife and I both have an iPhone 3G on pay-monthly O2 contracts here in the UK.
We're going to the USA for the whole month of April, and will need some way of staying in touch while we're there.
I was thinking of getting us both basic pay-as-you-go phones like this:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... d=10714718

That way we can call and text each other cheaper than using our iPhones.

But it would be good to have a data allowance on our phones and I know that roaming this can cost a fortune.
I just wondered, is there a way of buying a pay-as-you-go SIM that our iPhones will recognise?
Preferably one with a data allowance?
Or is this simply a non-starter as our phones are locked to O2 and I don't want to 'jailbreak' them.

All advice greatly appreciated!

Regards
Please use plain text.
darrengf
Topics: 17
Kudos: 145
Solutions: 26

Using UK iPhone in USA

your iphones are locked to the o2-uk network, and also the i phones are locked to the iphone sims only.

puttinf a standard o2 uk sim in the phone wont work. they have to be a special o2 iphone sim.

hope this answers the question
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 222
Kudos: 949
Solutions: 1,018

Using UK iPhone in USA

Well Re data find free wi-fi in usa and use that for email web. try here http://www.wififreespot.com/
Hope that helps your hotel etc may have it free

Darrengf
And I thought any o2 sim worked in the iphone you just do not get all the included features.
2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
randomtrees

Using UK iPhone in USA

Darrengf
And I thought any o2 sim worked in the iphone you just do not get all the included features.

That is true, it can be any O2 sim.
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
rnbetsy

Using UK iPhone in USA

puttinf a standard o2 uk sim in the phone wont work. they have to be a special o2 iphone sim.
What a load of... :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 222
Kudos: 949
Solutions: 1,018

Using UK iPhone in USA

Also to stop calls whilst on free wifi put phone into airplane mode then turn wi-fi on . Hope that helps
2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
dave1234

Using UK iPhone in USA

Also to stop calls whilst on free wifi put phone into airplane mode then turn wi-fi on . Hope that helps

I have just come back from New York and this is what i did, saved my self a massive bill :smileyvery-happy:
The Views i express in this forum are my own and are in no way related to any any other person/companys views.
Please use plain text.
Level 5: Ponderer
mitchja

Using UK iPhone in USA

I dont go as far as turning airplane mode on when I'm roaming. I do, however, turn off voicemail before I travel, so if I should receive any calls I can decide to answer them or not and if I reject them, they wont go to voicemail and so I wont have to pay to access them.

As long as you leave data roaming switched off, there's no reason to get any big bills. You can not access any of the data based apps on your iPhone as if you try to use them, a message pops up telling you to either switch data roaming on or use WiFi.

As I travel with my Macbook, I dont see the point of taking a mobile with me when I travel and having it in airplane mode the whole time.

I usually communicate via SMS whilst abroad, as they do come off your normal O2 SMS allowance, albeit in blocks of 4 for each SMS sent.

In some places in the US, I also find I have to turn off 3G, as having 3G turned on together with data romaing turned off, it can cause the mobile single to drop at regular intervals.
Please use plain text.
01steven

Using UK iPhone in USA

Thanks for all replies.
Please use plain text.
darrengf
Topics: 17
Kudos: 145
Solutions: 26

Using UK iPhone in USA

thats very strange regarding the sims, when i place my sim into a iphone it says that no network is present.

i will have another go
Please use plain text.
Ask a Question
Welcome