cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking an iPhone bought from Carphone Warehouse?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I upgraded at Carphone Warehouse last week to an iPhone 6 Plus with a 5GB 4G contract.

Can O2 customer services unlock this iPhone for me? I'm unsure as it came from Carphone Warehouse and not directly from O2.

Thanks

Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93181 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It's many years since I bought from a network because of them locking their phones. Strangely enough O2 only ever used to lock P&G phones up to a few years ago, anything on contract was unlocked. iPhones seemed to change that business strategy.

But even buying from Three I would imagine it's full of bloatware?

Message 41 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

It's many years since I bought from a network because of them locking their phones. Strangely enough O2 only ever used to lock P&G phones up to a few years ago, anything on contract was unlocked. iPhones seemed to change that business strategy.

But even buying from Three I would imagine it's full of bloatware?

You'd think it would be the other way around though, because you do at least own a PAYG handset from the outset (unless the price is heavily discounted of course). On the other hand, I can see a need for networks to protect their interests, when supplying a £500 handset for "free".

As far as bloatware is concerned, you're probably right. But like you, it's a long time since I bought a handset from a network, so I don't know how bad they are in that respect.

Message 42 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
An iPhone 6 Plus 16GB with unlimited calls/texts and 5GB of 4G data was £48 per month from Carphone Warehouse or £53 per month from O2 so in this case CPW was cheaper.
Message 43 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
I got a reply from O2 today. Their policy is not to unlock any iPhone 6 models for 12 months.

The email stated that given my "loyalty" that they would make an exception and they have unlocked it for me.
Message 44 of 51

Cleoriff
  • 122814 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I got a reply from O2 today. Their policy is not to unlock any iPhone 6 models for 12 months.

The email stated that given my "loyalty" that they would make an exception and they have unlocked it for me.
12 months?? I thought it was 6 months normally...?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 45 of 51

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
You can almost smell it, can't you wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 46 of 51

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
You can almost smell it, can't you wink

It splashed all over my keyboard....what a mess Smiley Mad

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 47 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
12 months is what it said, it was a "business decision" apparently.
Message 48 of 51

jonsie
  • 93181 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 49 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep, I'm happy.
Message 50 of 51