cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking an iPhone bought from Carphone Warehouse?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I upgraded at Carphone Warehouse last week to an iPhone 6 Plus with a 5GB 4G contract.

Can O2 customer services unlock this iPhone for me? I'm unsure as it came from Carphone Warehouse and not directly from O2.

Thanks

Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
I assume this is due in part to the move away from o2 staff to subcontracted staff from Capita??????
Message 21 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I went ahead and sent the unlock request to O2 and received this reply;

"Hi,

We are unable to process your request as currently we do not unlatch iPhone 6+ handset.

Kind Regards,
Admin Services"

I'm going to guess that this was actioned outside the UK based on the language/grammar.

I've now sent this reply and copied in complaints review service;

"Hi,

Regarding the attached email which I received today about the unlocking of an iPhone 6 Plus handset. The O2 website states that;

"We won't be unlocking iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus for a while. We're prioritising our stock of these devices for customers who want to use them on the O2 network."

I sourced my phone from Carphone Warehouse, this device was not supplied by O2, therefore based on the wording above there should be no restriction on it being unlocked.

I would appreciate either an unlock code being expedited or this matter being escalated to an appropriate level."

I'll keep you posted on how this goes.
Message 22 of 51

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144323 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
As expected 😞
Keep on at them as I don't think they have a leg to stand on legally wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 51

jonsie
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Good luck but I think you will have to keep pushing them or even go through the complaint link at the foot of the page....

Message 24 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
I followed this up with a call to customer services. I verified that I was talking to O2 staff and not agency staff. The advisor relayed the policy and I asked for the matter to be escalated. His manager again relayed the policy to me and refused to accept that my phone fell outside this policy as it was not supplied by O2. I've no choice now but to escalate it via complaints review but may send a separate complaint to the CEO email address.
Message 25 of 51

Cleoriff
  • 122911 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I think their so called 'get out' clause will be that although CPW supplied the phone, it IS on the O2 network

If O2 have that rule I can't see them be willing to bend it (as actually CPW sold that phone on behalf of O2)

I could have this wrong of course but that's my take on it...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 51

MI5
  • 144323 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
They just make the rules up as they go along tbh.....
No sense in it esp 5 months after launch
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 27 of 51

jonsie
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Message 28 of 51

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:
as actually CPW sold that phone on behalf of O2

I don't believe CPW act as device selling agents for O2 but they may act as agents for network service. 

O2 would need to have supplied CPW with that device for them to have any contractual association.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 29 of 51

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
O2 don't legally have a leg to stand on here.
Message 30 of 51