cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocked iphone not activating sim over wifi

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an unlocked iphone4 that was locked to the o2 network. When I try to activate a sim of a different carrier over wifi it doesn't activate, it says no service. 

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have the original o2 sim card as I bought the unlocked phone second hand without a sim. 

I contacted o2 and they said if I can't use my wifi to activate a new sim card from a different company then it is faulty even if it activates through itunes.

Message 21 of 41

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
You are getting confused, so slow down a bit.
Do you want to use an O2 sim card or a different one?
Is it locked to O2 or a different network?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to use a different sim card. It not locked to o2, it is an unlocked phone

Message 23 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
You are getting confused, so slow down a bit.
Do you want to use an O2 sim card or a different one?
Is it locked to O2 or a different network?

I'm getting confused also. OPs original post......

I have an unlocked iphone4 that was locked to the o2 network. When I try to activate a sim of a different carrier over wifi it doesn't activate, it says no service.

So the phone was locked to O2...... but what network sim is being tried?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 41

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
OK, so, put your network sim in it and connect to iTunes - Tell me what happens please.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 25 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

The seller I bought the phone from had the phone unlocked. It came to me with no sim. I am not using an o2 sim card. 

When I put my new sim card in the unlocked phone it won't activate it when I connect the phone to the internet. It will activate the sim card when connecting to itunes only. 

I have been told by o2 customer service that this unlocked phone is faulty if it doesn't activate my sim card over the internet wifi through the phone

Message 26 of 41

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
So it activates when connected to iTunes and shows a signal of your network OK and then it loses signal when you disconnect from iTunes?

Currently using:
Message 27 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

No it doesn't lose signal. It works fine, the sim only activates when doing it with itunes.

It was just the issue of not having the choice to activate the sim through the internet on this iphone as all unlocked iphones allow this. I thought the phone might be faulty.

Message 28 of 41

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
No mate, nothing wrong with it at all.
Just enjoy it. The internet activation was only available from the 5 onwards.

Currently using:
Message 29 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
No mate, nothing wrong with it at all.
Just enjoy it. The internet activation was only available from the 5 onwards.

Phew....and relax.....LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 41