cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock an O2 iPhone

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a 24 month iPhone contract with O2 that has now expired.

When I initially set it up I was given a temporary number before my old number switched over.

During this 24 months I broke my iPhone (twice) and went to Apple directly to do a standard repair exchange (twice) - so I now have a brand new iPhone with a new serial and IMEI but this new iPhone it is still locked to O2 as per Apples policy.

I have now taken out a new contact with EE and need to unlock my iPhone from O2 to use it; however I keep failing the online security form as I don't know which IMEI number/ mobile phone number I am supposed to be entering

-is it for the initial iPhone or the one I currently have?

- and do I use the phone number I bought the phone on or the one they transfered it to that I am still using but now with EE.

There are too many variables to try them all as I think I will risk blocking my account completely.

There doesn't seem to be anyway to talk to a human as the help pages on the website send you around in a circle and when I went into the O2 store I was told to contact Apple directly, who sent me to EE (thankfully they are in the sample shopping centre!!) Who confirmed I need to speak to O2.

Any advice from someone who has been though this would be greatly appreciated as this has been going on for about a month now.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
You need to use the IMEI of the phone you want to unlock (ie the one you have now) and the phone number you used that phone with on O2.
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi AS334 and Welcome to the Community Forum.

You can contact O2 from a mobile with an O2 SIM card in it by dialling 202 ,or from a landline 0344 8090202

To unlock the iPhone you still need to be on the O2 Network ,and supply the imei number of the iPhone you actually want unlocking.

It's always advisable to inform O2 of any replacement phone ,and your Myo2 auto updates with the new phones info.

If your not on the O2 Network now then the alternative is to obtain a payg SIM card from an O2 shop or here https://www.o2.co.uk/freesim/ and top it up with £20 ,and make some chargeable calls to latch the imei number of the phone to the payg account ,and leave £15 on the account to pay for the unlocking fee.

Another alternative is to ask someone you know on Contract to insert their SIM card (if they have the right sized one, if not they may have to perform a sim swap to the correct size which tbh is a big ask to ask them to do this.), again they make some calls to latch the imei of the iPhone you want unlocking to their contract account ,and they fill in the unlock form as if they were unlocking the iPhone ,as it's free for a Contract Customer.

You would then insert the non O2 SIM card when the code is received by email, and the process would complete. iPhone 5, 5c and 5s models up their is no need to hook up to iTunes.

Link : http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Let us know how you get on.
Message 2 of 4

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
You need to use the IMEI of the phone you want to unlock (ie the one you have now) and the phone number you used that phone with on O2.
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 4

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

If you check in My O2 it should show ehe IMEI of your current phone. If it doesn't you will problems unlocking it so check there first. It should have automatically updated without having to inform O2.

Message 4 of 4