cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlatching iPhone 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have recently submitted the unlatching request for my iphone6 that I had been using for over 6 months now. The unlatching did not go through. Therefore, I spoke with the O2 Helpdesk. Shocking enough, the O2 customer support guy informs me that O2 has stopped unlatching the phones until the phone is fully paid. Well, is that not an important information that should be highlighted when an existing iphone customer is upgrading?

Withholding such information is just as good as fraud. Especially putting the customers in a situation when they are travelling abroad. What does O2 expect? People would use their service on exorbitantly high roaming tariff?

With this kind of integrity, I see you losing a lot of returning customers.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
This has changed from iPhone 5 to 6. I have unmatched my iPhone 5 with in 3 months in the contract. The change should be specifically highlighted to the customer.
Message 11 of 19

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

02 unlock their mobiles free however they do exclude some phones for a certain amount of time. The latest iPhones are currently excluded "for a while" but you should be able to do this soon.

"We won't be unlocking iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus for a while. We're prioritising our stock of these devices for customers who want to use them on the O2 network. The exception to this will be O2 Refresh customers who've completely paid off their Device Plan in full - we will therefore allow iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus to be unlocked"
Taken from: http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-your-iphone-and-using-it-on-another-network#qs

When I got the iPhone 5 it was the same and it took a few months before they allowed it. I've just paid off my 6+ after 7 months and they unlocked it via the phone.

Hope this helps and gives you hope. I still think it is great that it's free as other networks charge for it.

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 12 of 19

L_W_Ward
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Mohanty wrote:

This has changed from iPhone 5 to 6. I have unmatched my iPhone 5 with in 3 months in the contract. The change should be specifically highlighted to the customer.

See my quote above. This has been on the unlocking form since the iPhone 6/6+ was released. I checked.

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 13 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
O2 are now (it appears) quoting 12 months for the iP6 which is a change to their usual iP policy (unless phone is paid off in full).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 19

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Ouch that's a long time!
iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 15 of 19

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

I still fail to understand the need to do this. Many people want to use their phones overseas with a local sim card. They should have this option 😕

Message 16 of 19

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I still fail to understand the need to do this. Many people want to use their phones overseas with a local sim card. They should have this option 😕

I agree with you, one of the main reasons that I, and I suspect many others are wary of buying handsets from O2.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 17 of 19

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Yes sim free is the way to go but it's a sad fact that many people have to get the phone as part of the contract and the networks feel the need to tie the phone down even when we the customer are locked into a contract with them. 

Message 18 of 19

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Maybe it will change when Three take over ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 19