cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknowingly Locked!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having washed my i phone in a hot wash in a trouser pocket I am in the process of replacing it via home insurance. What I discovered tonight from them seemed far fetched so I contacted O2 and its true.I buy an unlocked phone so that I have the choice of provider, particularly so I can use a local sim when travelling. I now discover that once I put a sim card in my phone I am locked to that provider. also, it costs £15 to unlock and that O2 havent decided to unlock the iphone 6 yet. This cannot be right!!!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Having washed my i phone in a hot wash in a trouser pocket I am in the process of replacing it via home insurance. What I discovered tonight from them seemed far fetched so I contacted O2 and its true.I buy an unlocked phone so that I have the choice of provider, particularly so I can use a local sim when travelling. I now discover that once I put a sim card in my phone I am locked to that provider. also, it costs £15 to unlock and that O2 havent decided to unlock the iphone 6 yet. This cannot be right!!!

It is sadly.

Apple are the only people who provide an unlocked iPhone. With anyone else it will lock to the first sim used.

Additionally, as far as I am aware.... O2 are not unlocking the iPhone 6 yet. (unless it was bought on a Refresh deal and the handset is paid off in full).

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to buy a phone outright from Apple as I have always done. The insurance company want to send me one as they get a good discount from CPW and if I buy my own they will only pay me what they pay them. Does this mean that the phones bought from Apple direct (which I have always done) are different from those bought from a provider.

Message 3 of 15

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
This is true as said by cleoriff and is an important lesson in reading the T&C's before purchase. Unless you buy directly from an Apple store you cannot buy a sim free iPhone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 15

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Does this mean that the phones bought from Apple direct (which I have always done) are different from those bought from a provider. 

Yes, they are very different - where did you buy from ?

Who is your insurance with?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Original & now very clean but dead was bought from Apple. Insurance company (Santander) will supply from CPW. They wont tell me how much they pay for them as if there isnt a great deal of difference I would be happier buying in Apple store & getting a cheque for a bit less

Message 6 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Then I think you are wise to go for the cheque option from the insurance if they will do that for you. No point being stuck with a locked phone...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 15

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Take the cheque and buy it yourself mate otherwise you'll be stuffed.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also make sure you get the same phone as you had or similar, but sometimes phones claimed on insurance tend to be refurbs
Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, Cant see them getting a massive discount as I thought Apple kept things fairly tight. Can deduct £15 from whatever the cost just so I dont have to pay for the unlock. 

Message 10 of 15