cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexplained large data use

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yesterday I had around 120 mb of data left.

I was setting my new iPhone up earlier and received a text message telling me that I had used 80 percent of my allowance. At that point I checked on My O2 app and I had 45 mb remaining, this was around 3 hours ago.

I have just received another text saying that I have used all of my allowance up.

I have my iPhone 6 Plus beside me, on wifi, plugged into my computer and I'm in the process of adding my apps, music etc on to it through iTunes.

I can remember a couple of years ago I had the same thing happen, and it was just after a new iOS release!

Has anyone else had an unexplainable large data use like I have?

Message 1 of 95
94 REPLIES 94

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Does it say cellular then ?

I updated yesterday evening and used my iCloud np back up with no extra / excessive amounts of data being used.

Very confusing.

Thanks bandofbrothers. Yeah found Cellular.

Looked through the apps and theres nothing that has used that much data. The highest data amount (which is at the top) is 10 mb for Software Update.

You're welcome buddy. 

Im hopeful they'll be able to help one way or another. 

Message 11 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to update.

I called O2 on 202 and explained the issue. They gave me 100 mb of data free of charge to put me on till my next billing date (3 October).

Its a strange issue, seems to come about more shortly after a new iOS update, strange Smiley Frustrated

Message 12 of 95

Bez89
Level 3: Thinker
  • 66 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Fatboy, I've been having this same issue for a few months now. Came to a head last week, when on the 16th I received my 1gig data allowance, then the next day got a txt saying I'd used all my data. Phoned O2 who are doing an investigation, which they said will take five days. They also gave me 100 mg as a goodwill gesture, and weirdly I've not used that yet. So clearly there's something wrong, re the 1gig used in a day. As I always have data turned off till I need it. Real mystery. 😳
Message 13 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to update:

I'm defintely using more data since iOS 8 (I'm currently running 8.0.2) than I did with iOS 7.

9 days ago I contacted O2 as all my data had been used up. Basically I had went through 120 MB in 24 hours, which for me is unheard of.

9 days ago I was given 100 MB of data free of charge when I contacted 202 and explained there was no way I'd used that much data as my iPhone was on wifi and it was sitting beside me not getting used and that I'd checked in the cellular section to make sure there was nothing in there using data.

So 9 days ago I had 100 MB, now currently I have 20 MB left. I've been using wifi when I have been at home to try and minimise mobile data use.

Usually the 250 MB of data I receive on my tariff will easily last me a month, so at 80 MB per week, I'm going to run out in approximately a little over 3 weeks.

Think I'll contacted 202 again and ask them to look into further, as clearly there is something not right somewhere.

Message 14 of 95

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

iOS 8.0.2 was supposed to fix a bug which could cause increased data usage

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1758?

Message 15 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

@davethorp wrote:

iOS 8.0.2 was supposed to fix a bug which could cause increased data usage

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1758?

Yeah I can remember reading the fixes iOS 8.0.2 was supposed to fix. But for me, I'm definitely seeing a noticeable increase in data usage with iOS 8, 8.0.2 compared to iOS 7.

Its times like this I wish the mobile operators still done unlimited data slight_smile

Message 16 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable
I get my PAYG allowances refreshed today so I'll keep an eye on my stats again just incase I'm missing something.

Last month my Data Allowance usage was normal but with iOS 8.0.2 this may be different.
Message 17 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I get my PAYG allowances refreshed today so I'll keep an eye on my stats again just incase I'm missing something.

Last month my Data Allowance usage was normal but with iOS 8.0.2 this may be different.

Thanks.

Just got off the phone from 202.

She suggested about turning off the auto play setting on Facebook but I pointed out that I only use the app when I'm at home and on wifi. 

She also mentioned that if that did not help, I might have an issue with my iPhone (which I find hard to believe is the cause).

She went on to say that their system does not allow them to see what app, website, service etc has used data, so she was unable to look into it more to see what has used it.

As a good will gesture she has given me 500 mb of data free of charge. I currently have 519.57 MB remaining and its showing I've used from the 2 September till now 330.43MB, so this is way more than I have used previous to iOS 8.

If the data use continues, the next step I will try is to switch off Cellular Data in the Settings/Cellular section and see if cellular data use continues. But this isnt the answer to the issue though and appreciated as it is, neither is having to contact O2 and been offered a free data bolt on slight_smile

Message 18 of 95

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be interesting to know if customers of the other mobile networks are having this high data use with iOS 8 or if its just isolated to O2.

Message 19 of 95

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

It has been reported on many networks worldwide since the introduction of iOS6, but it's random and doesn't effect everyone - If you Google it you will see the extent of the issues reported.

It's always the same response "turn off mobile data, blah, blah, blah" which I agree should not have to be done at all.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 95