cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring text messages from one phone to another

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone, I hope someone might be able to help?

I have just today upgraded from iPhone 3G (not even 3GS...) to iPhone 6. Yes I know I'm very much behind the times but I also have a work phone which is much more high tech so my own phone took a back seat.

Anyway, in my excitement to get it set up today I commenced the set-up procedure, using the PhoneCopy app to transfer contacts (which seems to have worked very well), and then I have also synched to iTunes to copy over other apps.

What I can't work out is how to transfer historic text messages from my old phone to my new one. I've trawled the forums but can't find anything (although this may be my defective search phraseology rather than the possibility that no-one else has had this dilemma).

If anyone has any suggestions I will be very grateful.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

If all else fails here is the link for  Apple Support

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/

And to make a genius bar appointment near you...

https://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks jonsie, this looked really promising but when I tried to download the application it says the files are corrupt and that I should obtain a new copy... Have you managed to use it successfully?

Message 12 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous
after trolling through the Apple forum it seems ur not the only one that has this problem
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4304414

But it seems the only ones to manage to get it done successfuly were those that used that program I linked on the first page.
I don't have a iphone so I can't test it for you but when you say it's limited to 3 txt/contacts is that altogether (the software is basically useless and can't do anything anymore) or just 3 txt per transfer?

If it's just 3 txt per transfer could you not just keep doing It like that till all the txt are transfered?
I know it's a bit of a chew on this way but at least once the txt are transfered then that's it slight_smile

I will ofcause keep trying to find info for you until we get this sorted but please let me know how you are getting on
Message 13 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks jonsie, this looked really promising but when I tried to download the application it says the files are corrupt and that I should obtain a new copy... Have you managed to use it successfully?

If the link Jonsie gave you hasn't worked @Anonymous .....and you have tried everything else...then it looks as if you will probably have to book yourself an appointment at an apple genius bar... info shown in my previous post...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 23

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Never had the problem as my one and only foray into the iphone market was the 4S and I was so under-impressed I went with the S3 when upgrading. But as suggested, maybe Apple can help you.

Message 15 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Never had the problem as my one and only foray into the iphone market was the 4S and I was so under-impressed I went with the S3 when upgrading. But as suggested, maybe Apple can help you.

Well there's a shock @jonsie ...when I posted I was about to say ..No jonsie has never had an iPhone...

I must away and have a lie down..LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 23

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I gave it a good shot, kept it for 6 months but was glad to pass it on to my daughter-in-law...

Message 17 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous any news on getting this sorted??
Message 18 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone, I've still not had any success yet but am planning to go speak with someone from the Carphone Warehouse Geek Squad tomorrow in the hope that they can help. Failing that, I still have Apple and O2 experts to consult with. I will of course post my news here.

Thanks very much to everyone who has been trying to help out.

@Anonymous - the software you suggested would allow me to transfer up to 3 texts from up to 3 contacts by using it on a trial basis, but in order to have unlimited data transfer I needed to pay £33 for the package. I must admit I have not used even the trial package yet but I will go back to it if no cheaper option using any of the phone / network suppliers is available.

I'll keep you all posted!
Message 19 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Everyone,

Carphone Warehouse Geek Squad came to the rescue and I can advise that the correct solution was good old iTunes after all...

They had to try several different methods but I think the problem had been caused by me trying to set my new phone up before backing up my old one properly.

I also had (mistakenly) set my new phone up as a "new" iPhone, rather than restoring from an old one, which was probably the crux of the matter.

We had to wipe my new phone (hence losing the handful of text messages I'd exchanged in the previous few days) and set it to pick up everything I'd stored in iTunes from my old phone.

I'm not really sure why I hadn't been able to work it out for myself, although possibly it was the new phone / existing phone thing, but I think the moral of the story is that one should not dive into trying to set up the new phone without first having read all of the instructions that came with it and following them to the letter!

So a bit thank you to everyone who has taken the time to help out, and to those of you who suggested iTunes - well you weren't wrong 😉

Very best wishes and enjoy the Easter break if you're getting one.

Message 20 of 23