cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring text messages from one phone to another

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone, I hope someone might be able to help?

I have just today upgraded from iPhone 3G (not even 3GS...) to iPhone 6. Yes I know I'm very much behind the times but I also have a work phone which is much more high tech so my own phone took a back seat.

Anyway, in my excitement to get it set up today I commenced the set-up procedure, using the PhoneCopy app to transfer contacts (which seems to have worked very well), and then I have also synched to iTunes to copy over other apps.

What I can't work out is how to transfer historic text messages from my old phone to my new one. I've trawled the forums but can't find anything (although this may be my defective search phraseology rather than the possibility that no-one else has had this dilemma).

If anyone has any suggestions I will be very grateful.

Message 1 of 23
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Everyone,

Carphone Warehouse Geek Squad came to the rescue and I can advise that the correct solution was good old iTunes after all...

They had to try several different methods but I think the problem had been caused by me trying to set my new phone up before backing up my old one properly.

I also had (mistakenly) set my new phone up as a "new" iPhone, rather than restoring from an old one, which was probably the crux of the matter.

We had to wipe my new phone (hence losing the handful of text messages I'd exchanged in the previous few days) and set it to pick up everything I'd stored in iTunes from my old phone.

I'm not really sure why I hadn't been able to work it out for myself, although possibly it was the new phone / existing phone thing, but I think the moral of the story is that one should not dive into trying to set up the new phone without first having read all of the instructions that came with it and following them to the letter!

So a bit thank you to everyone who has taken the time to help out, and to those of you who suggested iTunes - well you weren't wrong 😉

Very best wishes and enjoy the Easter break if you're getting one.

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

You could try this
http://www.transphone.net/ios-transfer/backup-iphone-sms.html

If not then there is this way aswell

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/transfer-text-messages-from-one-iphone-another-3525410/

hope you get it sorted slight_smile

please try and come back and let us know if you managed to get it to transfer, if not we can try and find another method.

Message 2 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @Anonymous 

According to Apple, this is how you do it slight_smile

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201269 

Message 3 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you want to transfer messages then connect your old iPhone to iTunes on a pc or Mac then sync the iPhone then connect the new iPhone & sync that with iTunes & your messages should appear
Message 4 of 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Was iCloud even available for a 3g?
You can't use iTunes either as the iOS will be different so you'll prob have to look for an app.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 23

jonsie
  • 93234 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

It was available for the 3gs but as you say, different software so iTunes is out of the equation.

Message 6 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone, and thanks for your helpful suggestions.

I had found the link on the Apple website but that seemed to transfer all content other than text messages.  As others have suggested, 3G is so prehistoric that iCloud isn't available, and the iTunes version doesn't seem to be able to be updated sufficiently either.

I am going to give childofkorn's suggestions a go and will let you know how I get on - fingers crossed!

Message 7 of 23

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Good luck slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions. I downloaded the "transphone" app and it appears that the free "trial" version is very limited in what you're able to do - including up to 3 messages from up to 3 contacts... not really sufficient, unfortunately, and I'm reluctant to pay £33 for the full unlimited version (maybe a fiver or a tenner, but £33 seems pricey compared to buying an actual physical hard drive...).

I have also had a look at the macworld advice, but since I have a regular HP laptop rather than a Mac, I'm not sure this will work either.

I've also had about 20-30 mins online to a guru via the Apple website, who was also stumped(!) - they suggested updating my version of iTunes - which I've done - and then performing a back-up of my iPhone 3G to the new iTunes - which I've also done.  Music, Apps and other content seems to appear but I can't see where messages are stored, if at all.

I think I am going to try and get to an Apple Retail store and see if one of their team can help.  Or maybe Carphone Warehouse? What a palaver!

Anyway, thanks very much for your help but unfortunately the quest continues!

Best wishes 🙂

Message 9 of 23

jonsie
  • 93234 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions