O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

evt
Level 1: Joiner
evt

Stolen iPhone - Can they access my data?

My iPhone was recently stolen; it took me about 15 mins for me to realise and call 02 who said they have disabled the IMEI and blocked the phone. When I asked the guy on the phone if that meant that whoever had it could still access my emails, txts and the like he said no as the phone was disabled, but I just wanted to check if anyone on here could confirm what happens to a phone when they do this?

One item in their favour is that from my gmail logs the last time the phone accessed my account was a few minutes before the phone was blocked, and it hasn't accessed my account since. (Obviously, I've changed the passwords and such.) However, it is likely that there's someone out there who is going through my email as there's a lot of potential identity theft problems with this that's scaring me.
Please use plain text.
DaveC
Topics: 23
Kudos: 77
Solutions: 24

Providing you set Auto Lock you should be OK. Mine is set to erase data after 10 attempts

Obviously they can't use the phone side of things but your diary and everything else will still work. It basically becomes an iPod Touch
To contact O2 click "Contact us" at the bottom of any O2 page, and click the service you need, or wait for "Live Chat" to appear.

Mobile since 1993
Please use plain text.
Level 7: Part Timer
Strange_Visitor

Re: Stolen iPhone - Can they access my data?

When I asked the guy on the phone if that meant that whoever had it could still access my emails, txts and the like he said no as the phone was disabled, but I just wanted to check if anyone on here could confirm what happens to a phone when they do this?

AFAIK blocking the IMEI only stops the phone accessing a network. So whatever SIM they put in they won't be able to make calls, send texts or use data connections.

If your phone wasn't passcode locked they can access all the data on your phone, although if they restore it obviously all your data will get wiped.

As I've only had the iPhone a short time I don't know if and how Safari saves web passwords. But as the thieves can still use wifi on your phone if the phone does save passwords you'll be wise to change them ASAP.

You may have some apps which connect automatically (Twitter, Facebook etc) that can be accessed via Wifi, you'll need to change those passwords too.

I know it's no comfort but you've certainly prompted me to put a passcode on my iPhone now. So I'm grateful that you've brought it to my attention.

As for identity theft, of course it's possible, but I think it more likely the thief just wants an iPhone to sell rather than the data on it.

SV
Handset: Samsung Galaxy S 8GB, Android 2.3.3
Tablet: Google Nexus 7, Android 4.1
Please use plain text.
jonsie
Topics: 191
Solutions: 1,958

Most people who steal mobile phones either want to use it for themselves or to sell on. Either way they will just want to activate the phone again which as SV says will wipe the info on there.Just change all your passwords for your applicatons. I hope you didn't have any bank details on there...if so inform your bank.
Please use plain text.
Level 4: Observant
andyhjones

The only way to stop any data being viewed by a thief is by having the Passcode option switched on and having it set that after 10 wrong attempts the iPhone erases all data stored.

Everyone do that now! :robotindifferent:
Please use plain text.
pchonga

Can't o2 remotely wipe ur iPhone data like we saw in the demo when the iPhone was first announced?
Please use plain text.
Level 7: Part Timer
Strange_Visitor

Can't o2 remotely wipe ur iPhone data like we saw in the demo when the iPhone was first announced?

I think it can only be done by businesses who give iPhones to their employees and use Microsoft Exchange servers.

AFAIK just taking the SIM out would defeat this action anyway.

SV
Handset: Samsung Galaxy S 8GB, Android 2.3.3
Tablet: Google Nexus 7, Android 4.1
Please use plain text.
Level 3: Ponderer
hypercrypt

I can personally wipe my device using the Outlook Web Access interface for my university e-mail, I haven't tried this though. Might try it on my iPod touch to see what happens...

EDIT:
That worked a charm.
Please use plain text.
evt
evt

Thanks for your replies - still feel somewhat anxious but I've changed all my passwords. I'm presuming that most thieves would be more concerned with wiping it and selling it than searching through the emails.

However, when I called 02 to double check this morning, they did say that the IMEI block rendered the handset totally unuseable even if they put in another SIM card, which was interesting.

I was about to set up an Exchange Account on my iPhone next week as well...
Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
petemitchell

Thanks for your replies - still feel somewhat anxious but I've changed all my passwords. I'm presuming that most thieves would be more concerned with wiping it and selling it than searching through the emails.
However, when I called 02 to double check this morning, they did say that the IMEI block rendered the handset totally unuseable even if they put in another SIM card, which was interesting.
I was about to set up an Exchange Account on my iPhone next week as well...

It is true that the Iphone will no longer be usable in UK. However, if the thieves are smart, they will unlock it and sell it to people out of UK. In that sense, the Iphone can still be used as a phone.
Please use plain text.