cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sounding out a new idea (I think) - "O2 delay"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a thought for those of us who text friends/loved ones late at night - you want them to know you've replied, and in as good a time as possible - but you don't necessarily want to wake them up to do so. Would O2 be able to provide a delay on the alert of a text message - eg, start your message with *delay 7am* and the message is delivered but with minimal flashing/beeping until 7am? Or would this be something Apple would have to do… Or a combo of the two?

What do you think, could this take off?

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous and Welcome to the Community Forum,

What you suggest can sort of be achieved ,but not by the Network.

For the iPhone / iPad I used to use a Messaging App called BiteSms

In this messaging app a text could be set to auto sent at a chosen time or even sent on a persons birthday etc.

Unfortunately this app is not available on a stock Apple iPhone,and as far as I'm aware their are no alternatives available in the App Store to achieve this or your idea. 😞

Apple would have no control of when a person is alerted of a text message.

It would have to be the Network but possibly the structure and cost to delay the alerting of a text would outweigh the need of it by many.

The act of choosing that particular text not to alert the person probably would also lead to user error where they accidentally didn't want that option on that particular SMS etc.

A nice idea tho.

Have you put it forward to O2 ?
Message 2 of 44

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You could save the text as a draft to get the timestamp then only send the text when you got up in the morning?
I can't see of any time that I would find this useful to me though, sorry.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 44

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I can see a use...sending birthday/anniversary  wishes to get to the recipient when they get up...as you could be elsewhere (I think this may be something that just interests us women though...and NO I am not being sexist...just truthful) wink

Or with me...often abroad.... I text family and friends and so far I just leave it in draft...but that requires me to press send...and I could be unavailable....

So yes...if I had an option to set a timer for a text...I would love that Smiley Very Happy.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable
This facility is already available on many android devices. Text messages can be scheduled.
Message 5 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable
To do this in Android go to your phone's text system. Enter in the persons number you want to send it to, type in your text.

Before you press send click on the left hand menu button at the base of your phone and a list will come up. Select scheduling and choose the date and time you want it sent.

Then press send.

I do this regularly when i want texts to arrive broadly at a specific time. I am not sure if this is on all android handsets but it certainly is on more recent Galaxy models.
Message 6 of 44

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

That's a good idea, but I don't see that facility on my phone. I don't have a left hand menu button. It may only be available on certain phones or certain text systems or certain versions of Android.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Bambino

It was definitely on my S4 and it is on my Note 3 so maybe it is Samsung specific? ??
Message 8 of 44

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Could very well be, piperdog. I have a Motorola and am still running Android 4.1.2 with no sign of a Kit-Kat update as yet, and what you describe isn't available to me. At least it isn't using the stock text app. Might be available on a text app from the Play Store.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 44

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes...its on my S3 as well ...something I didnt know...so thanks for that wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 44