cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky email won't send unless on wifi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys.

I'm having a weird issue with sending email from my Sky email account on my iPhone. I've had the issue for a while but put it down to an issue with the email provider.

I have my Sky email account on my iPhone and also on my iPad. On my iPad I am able to send and receive emails to my Sky email with no problems.

However on my iPhone I cannot send email (from my Sky email) if I am not on wifi. If I try to send an email from my Sky email when not on wifi, the email gets put in my Outbox on my iPhone and also a little popup appears saying username or password are incorrect (or words to that affect).

I suspect the issue/conflict is to do with the iPhone using O2's mobile data network to send the email and also the Outgoing SMTP of the Sky email. The Outgoing SMTP settings are identical on both my iPhone and also the iPad, the only thing that differs is the iPad is on wifi whereas the iPhone is regularly on mobile data.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and found a fix or is there a way to add an secondary outgoing SMTP for O2 mobile data network?
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Try it with O2's smtp server:
Host Name: smtp.o2.co.uk
Use SSL: Off
Authentication: Password
Server Port: 25
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks MI5 but it wouldnt accept those details, the little popup kept saying username, password were incorrect.

So I deleted the Sky email account and re-entered the details I was previously using and it sends and receives email fine now on my iPhone, so I'm a bit confused as I'd done that before with no success Thoughful

Message 3 of 24

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
HA... That old trick. eh ? wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 24

browni
Level 21: Regular
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Try it with O2's smtp server:
Host Name: smtp.o2.co.uk
Use SSL: Off
Authentication: Password
Server Port: 25

Is that not the same email server that has been closed down to all but a few select Sky Broadband customers?

#siwy
Message 5 of 24

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Yes, but thought it may still be accessible as it's still working for some....?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 24

browni
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

It is mate but requires an O2 logon & password.

Perhaps you were thinking of the relay.o2broadband.co.uk server which didn't require authentication as long as you were on the O2 network?

#siwy
Message 7 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@browni wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

It is mate but requires an O2 logon & password.

Perhaps you were thinking of the relay.o2broadband.co.uk server which didn't require authentication as long as you were on the O2 network?

Thanks I'll bear this in mind in case the problem returns (as presently its working fine now).

When you mention 'requires an O2 logon & password'. Where do I enter my O2 logon and password? (just so I know for future reference). Thanks both slight_smile

Message 8 of 24

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Found this old thread Fatboy....
Maybe browni can confirm if still applicable or not?
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/Solve-your-email-sending-problems/td-p/37

Currently using:
Message 9 of 24

browni
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

When you mention 'requires an O2 logon & password'. Where do I enter my O2 logon and password? (just so I know for future reference). Thanks both slight_smile

Depends on your email client!

If trying to set up email to access the O2 server the username would be your O2 logon account name and the password, well self explanatory!

#siwy
Message 10 of 24