cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim only (with O2 or CW) vs. Upgrading - advice needed....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys/girls,

Well its that exciting time of the year when a new iPhone is about to be released.

I'm due for an upgrade this month and was all set to wait outside my local O2 store tomorrow morning (just like with the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5).

However, having checked out the tariffs on O2's site, I feel less than impressed with the options.

A friend suggested I look at the Sim only options and buy the handset outright instead.

Having looked at O2's options, I found the following to be a decent offer:

Sim_O2.png

I then looked at Carphone Warehouse and they are offering this:

Sim_CW.png

Both of the above options look good but with the £120 cashback with CW I'd be effectively saving £10 a month.

So £20 a month for only 12 months (£240) plus £619 for 64GB iPhone 6 = £859

To pay a similar monthly payment when Upgrading with O2:

Upgrade_O2.png

£23 a month over 24 months (£552) plus £729.99 for handset = £1,281.99

Purchasing the handset outright is obviously the best option - cheaper and I'm only commited for 12 months.

I understand O2 are offering their Refresh plan (Device + Airtime) which is suppose to be flexible but I still think going Sim only is the best option (if you can afford the upfront handset cost).

Anyone else agree with me or am I missing something here?

Lastly, who here has dealt with CW and their CashBack promotion? It seems too good to be true...

Regards,

Mo.

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@viridis wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

EDIT; @viridis  loving the new avatar ....

Apart from the fact that I can't read the name. Hard to read yours too.

better?

Indeed it is..Android Army gathering...Oh whoops...back on topic wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 31 of 40

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Which option would be best? Both options will probably result in having no mobile service for a few days as mobile number has to be ported over to new Sim card - not a major problem.

Personally I would buy the phone from Apple and take the CPW sim deal.

I'd also opt to give them your number now to transfer over to the sim deal as your contract will have finished by the time it's processed anyway and it will eliminate the chance of having 2 contracts running at the same time.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 33 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Which option would be best? Both options will probably result in having no mobile service for a few days as mobile number has to be ported over to new Sim card - not a major problem.

Personally I would buy the phone from Apple and take the CPW sim deal.

I'd also opt to give them your number now to transfer over to the sim deal as your contract will have finished by the time it's processed anyway and it will eliminate the chance of having 2 contracts running at the same time.

Great - thanks for the advice! slight_smile

Message 34 of 40

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No worries mate - It's refreshing to see someone taking the time to think about their options and not just rushing in to get the latest phone at any cost slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 35 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update,

I spoke to an O2 member of staff via chat and she helped me switch to the following 12 Month Sim Tariff:

SIM_O2_5GB.png

I managed to get a £5 Loyalty discount so I'm only going to pay £19 per month instead of £24 slight_smile

I could've switched to CW who were doing the same Tariff for £18 (after cashback) but I decided to stay direct with O2.

New Sim should arrive in the next 1-2 working days and it should be easy to transfer my current number to the new Sim.

Just need to start saving up for the iPhone 6 (64GB) Smiley Very Happy

Message 36 of 40

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Good result slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 37 of 40

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's surprising how O2 can give a loyalty bonus to some but not others. Good result slight_smile

Message 38 of 40

Cleoriff
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Looks a good tariff. Well done wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 39 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable

jonsie wrote:

It's surprising how O2 can give a loyalty bonus to some but not others. Good result slight_smile

Thanks!

I've been an O2 customer for around 6 years now so this (and the fact CW were doing the same Tariff with Cashback) worked in my favour slight_smile

I'm really happy with O2's Customer Service and I look forward to staying with them for years to come...

Message 40 of 40