Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim data working but showing no signal bars, calls/texts not working

Sammy_boy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I've just got a secondhand iPhone 5 from a CEX store, and as it takes a nano sim I went to an O2 shop and got a nano sim to replace my micro one.

The sim appears to have activated - the old one now no longer works and the new one's data is working - but it's not showing any signal bars and calls/texts are not working - either outgoing or incoming.

Is there a problem with the phone or the sim? I've tried a full settings and content reset on the iPhone, tried resetting the network settings and done a soft reset on it, all to no avail.  I've tried taking the sim out and cleaning it, made sure it's seated properly.

Why aren't calls and texts working? Will that activate within the 24 hours since getting the sim, or do I have a problem somewhere?

Cheers slight_smile

Message 1 of 27
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

When a member wants to sell a phone to CEX they first take the phone for 1-2 hours to thoroughly check that its not been blacklisted , and that it works 100%

They hook it up to itunes to check it is detected and also check its lock/unlock status.

They then check their own sim cards in the phone to ensure it takes other network sim cards if its supposed to be unlocked, and to ensure it makes outbound and takes inbound calls and connects to the internet via wifi and a networks data connection.

They then apply their own 12 month warranty onto of any remaining warranty via Apple.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

It can take up to 24 hours for your sim to settle but can sometimes be quicker depending on if the Network is busy. It once took two days for a sim swap to settle for me.

If you get worried after that time frame then ask via Live Chat or ring O2 customer services to have the swap checked. Its rare but sometimes the blank sims can be faulty or a glitch happens.

202 Contract.

4445 payg

Keep turning the iphone off and on to help reset the network.

Im hopefully assuming the phone has not been imei barred. 

Message 2 of 27

Sammy_boy
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
No, it shouldn't have been barred, if so I'll be going back to CEX in the morning! However the data is working and it is showing 'O2-UK' next to the empty network 'dots', and 3G is working as it should.

I'll keep rebooting the iPhone and see if it bursts into life - in the meantime I'll sign into TuGo!
Message 3 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sammy_boy wrote:
No, it shouldn't have been barred, if so I'll be going back to CEX in the morning! However the data is working and it is showing 'O2-UK' next to the empty network 'dots', and 3G is working as it should.

I'll keep rebooting the iPhone and see if it bursts into life - in the meantime I'll sign into TuGo!

It should be fine then if its showing all that info in the status bar.

A point to note is that if the original owner does the barr then CEX will in my experiance give you another phone and chase the original owner !

Message 4 of 27

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

The phone could indeed be faulty, I wouldn't buy an expensive item from one of these shops.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to add here is a help thread by another member callled jonsie.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/Connecting-iPhone-to-Data-Services/m-p/54...

Message 6 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

When a member wants to sell a phone to CEX they first take the phone for 1-2 hours to thoroughly check that its not been blacklisted , and that it works 100%

They hook it up to itunes to check it is detected and also check its lock/unlock status.

They then check their own sim cards in the phone to ensure it takes other network sim cards if its supposed to be unlocked, and to ensure it makes outbound and takes inbound calls and connects to the internet via wifi and a networks data connection.

They then apply their own 12 month warranty onto of any remaining warranty via Apple.

Message 7 of 27

Sammy_boy
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I've used CEX quite a few times before with no problems (yet) and with very good customer service. I imagine if my phone does turn out to be blocked or have a problem they will replace it. My wife recently got an iPhone 4S of them with a loudspeaker problem, after testing it they exchanged the phone with an equivalent one, even gave her the £10 difference in price back and helped her get set back up again. 

Speaking of service, still no 'dots' of service yet! If still no signal tomorrow I'll got to an O2 shop and see what they say. I've restarted the phone a few times, no change yet.

Message 8 of 27

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
I thought the CEX shop had to check if a phone was stolen or barred prior to accepting it from someone
Message 9 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
They do check it using online imei checking sites etc.
Message 10 of 27