Did you mean: 

Signal Dropping every time I make a Call

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Quick question.....

I have noticed, that on my iPhone 6, whenever I make a normal phone call, my 4G signal (or 3G) will completely vanish? Smiley Frustrated

As an example, yesterday, I was in area of 4G and my phone had 5 full bars/spots/dots (!!). I then made a phone call, and subsequently watched my 4G signal, completely disappear from my phone. I could still talk on the call so the genersal signal for making a call was still there, however, it was not a 4G or 3G one.

After the call ended, I watched my phone, slowly drop to GPRS, and then to 'E' and then back up to 3G and then finally, to 4G.

Is this normal?  I was under the impression that it is still possible to browse the web whilst on a call (if you want to look somethig up) however, in the scenariio above, this would have been impossible as all my service had disappeared (apart from the service which allows the actual phone call).

Smiley Frustrated

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

Anonymous
Not applicable
Could be worth having a Genius Bar at an Apple Store run a diagnostic via an appointment.
Message 11 of 47

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

...I'll run a test tomorrow night (not at home tonight!) and report back here Monday!

Message 12 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
Be interesting to see your update.

I've just tried myself again.

I was on 4G. Made a call dropped to 3G and navigated to a site on the net.

Came out of safari and ended the call and watched my phone switch back from 3G to 4G in a few seconds.
Message 13 of 47

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Hi, joined this late but found this on another forum regarding the issue you are having.
The customer has contacted his airtime provider and they recommended turning off 4g for time being.
"Turned off LTE and had internet instantly. Whatever he was reading explained that there are issues with connectivity when the phone is trying to switch between LTE & 3G. If it has a low LTE signal, then it acts like there is no internet at all. He suggested keeping the LTE off until they put out a fix for it."

Hope this helps
Message 14 of 47

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

...ok, couldn't wait til tomorrow, so have just tested this at work.

Getting a good 4G signal, I called my desk number and left the call open.  My phone then immediately dropped from 4G to being blank - no symbol showed up in the display, so it was unlikely to allow me to browse to a website, so I didn't try. I ended the call and then slowly, it showed the 'E' for Edge symbol, and then back to 3G, and then back to 4G.

I then repeated the same test but this time, whilst the call was in the background, the '4G' symbol still disappeared from the display but this time, was replaced by the '3G' symbol, and did indeed allow me browse Safari, whilst the call was open in the background.  Ended the call and the 3G was replaced by 4G.

Ok, so the tests proove a little inconsistant but perhaps, there are many factors involved in what exactly is going on here!

At least in the second test I was indeed able to use data at the same time as being on a call.

Message 15 of 47

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144285 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Indeed there must be a number of factors but at least it proves you can get the same result sometimes....
I can only assume it's a network variable that is causing it....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
Certainly a conundrum
Message 17 of 47

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

What happens when 4G is used, then while still connected, a voice call is made ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 18 of 47

MI5
  • 144285 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
3G
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 47

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
3G

And @DinoF ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 20 of 47