cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up email for an ntlworld address on an iphone / ipad

Anonymous
Not applicable

My iPhone 4S and iPad suddenly stopped sending and receiving emails about a week ago.

I have not changed anything. Can anyone help?

What settings do you recommend?

I have previously used POP rather than IMAP.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144299 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
All ntlworld references should now be changed to virginmedia.
ie, imap.ntlworld.com becomes imap.virginmedia.com

Your username is usually "John Smith" rather than "johnsmith@ntlworld.com" but try both options.
Incoming server is on port 993 with SSL level security and outgoing is port 465, smtp.virginmedia.com, SSL ticked and login required.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks.

I tried this but got the message "username or password is incorrect".

Safari is working fine.

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 144299 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
All ntlworld references should now be changed to virginmedia.
ie, imap.ntlworld.com becomes imap.virginmedia.com

Your username is usually "John Smith" rather than "johnsmith@ntlworld.com" but try both options.
Incoming server is on port 993 with SSL level security and outgoing is port 465, smtp.virginmedia.com, SSL ticked and login required.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

It was only my outgoing email that stopped working so I've tried adding an smtp server smtp.virginmedia.com and that doesn't make any difference. I deleted the smtp.ntlworld.com and no mail works so I had to reinstate it - when I recreate it it verifies and says it's ok. If I then try to send mail it says the username or password is incorrect!!!

Any ideas?

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 144299 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

Use the settings I posted above, they work exactly as I've written on my wifes 4s with an ntlworld email account.
I can only think that you might have wrong password or have not enabled smtp auth ?

You need to tick the option to use the same log on details as incoming for the outgoing section.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6