cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending Emotions on text messages and £85 bill for it!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can somebody please tell me if it is right that a 'smiley face' or other type of emotion you choose is classed as multi media, as I have just been slapped with an £85 bill this month! It should be £25. I have 500 free texts which is what I thought I was doing! Has anybody else encountered this?

Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Can somebody please tell me if it is right that a 'smiley face' or other type of emotion you choose is classed as multi media, as I have just been slapped with an £85 bill this month! It should be £25. I have 500 free texts which is what I thought I was doing! Has anybody else encountered this?

I send smiley faces daily and I've never been charged any extra. The smiley faces etc that I send are the Emoji ones. The Emoji (smilies etc) keyboard is included with iOS 6. To access them you do the following:

Go into Settings/General/ scroll down till you see keyboard, touch this. On the next screen where it says Keyboard, touch this. Next touch add keyboard. On the next screen scroll down the list till you see Emoji, touch this to add it, and you will now have access to all the Emoji icons, smilies etc by touching the little globe symbol to the right of the 123 key on the on screen keyboard.

The only explanation I can think of for your £85 charge is that you have the show subject field switched on in Settings/Messages. Go into Settings/Messages, and scroll down and you will see "show subject field", check to see if yours is switched on or off.

The show subject field is used in/for MMS messaging. It is very easy to write the text, insert the smiley etc into the subject field line/area, rather than the line underneath. If you write text, smileys etc in the subject field it will be sent as a MMS message rather than a normal text/SMS message.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an iPhone 4s if that makes a difference and send texts with emotions only to other iPhones.

Message 2 of 20

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Deleted by me.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 20

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

My S3 converts a sms to mms just by insering a symbol from the keyboard. Doesn't happen if you type '3 degreesC' but does if you insert the symbol for 'degree'. But at least you get a warning.

Message 4 of 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The problem is with apple iOS as you don't get a clear warning when the phone converts an sms into an mms.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

You can turn the mms feature on and off in the iPhones settings.
Message 6 of 20

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Depends on what kind of emotion it was really.

Were you using a standard colon, close bracket one?

Or those emoji things?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 7 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Pixie, it's certainly possible and down to your handset's way of converting SMS to MMS. Turning MMS Off on your phone should stop it from happening again.
Message 8 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I send smiley faces daily and I've never been charged any extra. The smiley faces etc that I send are the Emoji ones. The Emoji (smilies etc) keyboard is included with iOS 6. To access them you do the following:

Go into Settings/General/ scroll down till you see keyboard, touch this. On the next screen where it says Keyboard, touch this. Next touch add keyboard. On the next screen scroll down the list till you see Emoji, touch this to add it, and you will now have access to all the Emoji icons, smilies etc by touching the little globe symbol to the right of the 123 key on the on screen keyboard.

The only explanation I can think of for your £85 charge is that you have the show subject field switched on in Settings/Messages. Go into Settings/Messages, and scroll down and you will see "show subject field", check to see if yours is switched on or off.

The show subject field is used in/for MMS messaging. It is very easy to write the text, insert the smiley etc into the subject field line/area, rather than the line underneath. If you write text, smileys etc in the subject field it will be sent as a MMS message rather than a normal text/SMS message.

Message 9 of 20

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

http://bit.ly/13rWyPo has o2 info on this issue

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 10 of 20