cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second hand iphone - no service and prev. owners apple account still signed in

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I just bought a second-hand iphone 4 off eBay for my mum. The listing stated it was in full working order and locked to Orange which I thought would not be a problem because I intended to unlock it and put it on an O2 pay monthly contract.

We received the phone today and there's a couple of issues. First of all, the previous owners apple account is still signed in and he still has some of his info on the phone such as contacts etc. I tried deleting the apple account but need the password. I googled and apparently I can reset the device but I read a few things which said this wouldn't fix the apple account issue so I'm reluctant to do this until I know how to solve it. I obviously don't have his password so is this something I can fix or is it unfixable without having his password?

Secondly, the phone is displaying "no service". As mentioned, the listing did say it was locked to Orange and the old Orange sim card was in the phone when it came this morning so I'm not sure if this means there's a fault or if it just means he's deactivated the sim? I've never bought a used mobile before so please excuse my ignorance regarding this slight_smile

So basically, is the No Service message a fault or just a deactivated sim, and is there a way for me to delete the old apple account?

Thanks

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Then return it and report it would be the way forward....Too much trouble...too many problems...:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

I decided to pay the small fee to have it checked by CheckMEND since it was recommended twice and everything came back clear.

To the person who suggested we buy a new Orange sim to check, not sure if it makes a difference but I put my mum's current O2 card in and now it's saying "invalid SIM" - does that suggest anything about it's functionality or should I still buy a new Orange card and see what that says?

EDIT: Also, to be fair the listing didn't say that the phone had been unlinked from his apple account so not sure if I'd have grounds to return it for that reason?

Message 12 of 25

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Then return it and report it would be the way forward....Too much trouble...too many problems...:smileysad:

My feelings too!

Message 13 of 25

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It could also be barred at any time in the future by the original owner - ebay phones are just too much of a risk.
Second hand phones (for safety) should only be bought from friends or reputable high street stores.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 25

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

EDIT: Also, to be fair the listing didn't say that the phone had been unlinked from his apple account so not sure if I'd have grounds to return it for that reason?

It is unusable to you unless they reset it, so it isn't fit for purpose and not as described.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 25

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
That^^
His apple account protects everything on it from your use.
Not to mention the icloud.com features he controls...
Message 16 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help guys. I've messaged the guy explaining the issue and asking for his address so I can return it for a refund. I'll see what he says.

Message 17 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the help guys. I've messaged the guy explaining the issue and asking for his address so I can return it for a refund. I'll see what he says.

If he procrastinates or waffles threaten to report him to Ebay....and PayPal and a poor review. He will soon start to be accommodating ! (Speaking from experience here)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 25

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
It could also be barred at any time in the future by the original owner - ebay phones are just too much of a risk.
Second hand phones (for safety) should only be bought from friends or reputable high street stores.

That's for sure!

Message 19 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: His wife (I presume) replied. She apologied and said she thought it had been wiped. She said we can return it (gave her address) and said she can either refund or wipe it and resend.

My mum REALLY wants to keep it as it was cheap and she's worried she won't find another she can afford. What do you guys think? Return it to be wiped and sent back, or just straight up refund?

Message 20 of 25