cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second hand iphone - no service and prev. owners apple account still signed in

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I just bought a second-hand iphone 4 off eBay for my mum. The listing stated it was in full working order and locked to Orange which I thought would not be a problem because I intended to unlock it and put it on an O2 pay monthly contract.

We received the phone today and there's a couple of issues. First of all, the previous owners apple account is still signed in and he still has some of his info on the phone such as contacts etc. I tried deleting the apple account but need the password. I googled and apparently I can reset the device but I read a few things which said this wouldn't fix the apple account issue so I'm reluctant to do this until I know how to solve it. I obviously don't have his password so is this something I can fix or is it unfixable without having his password?

Secondly, the phone is displaying "no service". As mentioned, the listing did say it was locked to Orange and the old Orange sim card was in the phone when it came this morning so I'm not sure if this means there's a fault or if it just means he's deactivated the sim? I've never bought a used mobile before so please excuse my ignorance regarding this slight_smile

So basically, is the No Service message a fault or just a deactivated sim, and is there a way for me to delete the old apple account?

Thanks

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
No service could mean either a deactivated sim or a barred phone.
You can check the IMEI number here to see if it is barred http://www.checkmend.com/uk/
You cannot reset an iPhone without the apple id password so you need to get that resolved by the original owner.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 25

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Sounds as dodgy as it gets.
Give the seller a message and see what they say and do. Give one chance to sort it and then report as sold not as described.
Checkmend it first though.
Message 3 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I checked the IMEI using a different site after I posted and before I saw your comment and it came back 'clean' so that's a positive. How will the owner be able to fix this issue? Is there something he can do on his apple account as I'd feel uncomfortable taking his password tbh.

Message 4 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Oh dear is all I am going to say just yet.......Other than Ebay is rapidly becoming a no go area for any phones to buy.......I have bought new from Ebay back in the day...don't think I would even trust those now though

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 25

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
He will HAVE to give you hus password to remove the account.
After that he can change it again.
Message 6 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@viridis wrote:

Surely once the seller has given the password to remove the account and IF the buyer enters his own password immediately then the seller has no further control over it?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 25

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Easiest thing to do first of all is to get an orange sim to make sure the phone is indeed active. Personally I think you have bought a pile of trouble.  Is there any proviso on the advert about returning the phone? 

Message 8 of 25

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@viridis wrote:

Surely once the seller has given the password to remove the account and IF the buyer enters his own password immediately then the seller has no further control over it?

The account could be linked to other devices in which the seller can go onto icloud.com etc and change it.

It's either that or return it bottom line. As of now, seller still has digital control and digital ownership of that iphone

Message 9 of 25

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Easiest thing to do first of all is to get an orange sim to make sure the phone is indeed active. Personally I think you have bought a pile of trouble.  Is there any proviso on the advert about returning the phone? 

This^^^^

If it were me, id arrange a return and refund through ebay as item not as described (is not wiped and has non removable user account on it)

Message 10 of 25