Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S5 Losing Charge and Getting Hot

Catface
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've had my Samsung Galaxy S5 since July (this is my 2nd one- claimed on insurance after I had my 1st one stolen). The last few days, it's been on about 50% battery and when I've gone back to it a few hours later it's completely dead and has switched itself off. When I've then put it on charge, it's charging very slowly. I've turned it onto Airplane mode to try speed up charging but it's not helping. I'm using a HTC charger, could this be contributing to the slow charge speed? This morning I charged it using the Samsung charger it came with and it charged fine. So I accept this could be why it doesn't charge quick enough. It doesn't explain why the battery is rinsing so quickly though. 

I've never had any problems with the battery until now. It's previously charged up very quickly and kept the charge for extended periods of time. 

I've also noticed the phone has started getting really hot, even when not on charge or in use. 

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? I've already claimed on my insurance once and I can't afford to pay the extortionate £120 to claim on it a 2nd time. The phone itself is still under manufacturers warranty but I'm not sure how long the batteries are under warranty for. 

HTC One X since 31/08/12
No real knowledge of Technology, be gentle.
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree that using one of the low cost 3rd party accessories can cause issues , unless it's a certified one.

ie: I use an iPhone and would only use Apple accessories or ones that are Mfi certified.

I hope things remain ok for your phone now.
Message 11 of 34

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122816 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Catface 

One of the ways recommended to stop overheating on the S5 is to turn off unnecessary features

By this I mean mobile data, Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth, NFC, Multi-Window etc etc.

Turn off GPS when you don't need your location. Keep Bluetooth off when you're not connected to other devices. And if you're not multitasking disable Multi-Window feature.

Of course it could be that you need a new battery...if so make sure its a genuine Samsung approved battery. Cheaper ones are never recommended....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi @Catface 

One of the ways recommended to stop overheating on the S5 is to turn off unnecessary features
By this I mean mobile data, Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth, NFC, Multi-Window etc etc.

Turn off GPS when you don't need your location. Keep Bluetooth off when you're not connected to other devices. And if you're not multitasking disable Multi-Window feature.

Of course it could be that you need a new battery...if so make sure its a genuine Samsung approved battery. Cheaper ones are never recommended....

It's a shame if its recommended by some to turn these features off to stop the flagship Samsung Galaxy s5 from overheating. Goes some to cripple it 😔

Message 13 of 34

MI5
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Heat and battery drain like you describe is due to the processor running all the time.
This is usually caused by a system process or app keeping the phone awake and can happen from time to time.
Turning off and removing the battery for a couple of mins will usually clear temp glitches such as this but if it persists you need to look at what apps are running and which are consuming the most power.
The HTC charger won't be a problem to use but it will charge slower as it will be a 1 amp charger and the S5 is supplied with a 2 amp charger.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 34

Cleoriff
  • 122816 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

There are many things recommended to stop ALL phones having issues

I googled some of the problems relating to the S5 overheating. It does NOT however say that all S5's overheat.

There is a distinct difference....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do you do it Rich? Your knowledge must surely be unsurpassed.

I had noted my Samsung chargers that came with my current devices are much quicker to charge my handsets.

I also have an iPad from work (it makes a great door stop) and that takes hours to charge but it isn't an apple branded charger they have given me. (I recharge it at work).
Message 16 of 34

MI5
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

There are many things recommended to stop ALL phones having issues

I googled some of the problems relating to the S5 overheating. It does NOT however say that all S5's overheat.

There is a distinct difference....

I totally agree.....

I have everything turned on that I need which includes bluetooth, wifi and GPS on always and I don't have any overheating problems and my battery will still go 2 days between charges.

I may get 4 days if I turned everything off, but so what?

As long as I can charge my phone when needed (which isn't 3 times a day) I'm happy slight_smile

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 17 of 34

MI5
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Not at all Nick - Always learning new things slight_smile

I try to learn at least one new thing everyday.......

Currently using:
Message 18 of 34

Cleoriff
  • 122816 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Well you all  know my stance on 'unbranded' cheap chargers being used purely from a health and safety perspective. That said both my Samsungs charged faster using the charger that came with the phone.

As for the comment about a flagship phones being 'crippled' by turning off unnecessary features?

I am no expert but I turn all these off when not using them.Seemed to make perfect sense to me. I dont keep the lights on upstairs when I am in my lounge...Rolleys

So why would I want to keep mobile data, bluetooth and GPS running all the time??

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not at all Nick - Always learning new things slight_smile

I try to learn at least one new thing everyday.......

Well I have learnt my one thing for today. .....

"Listen to Uncle Rich when advice needed on Sammy products " 

Good Idea

Message 20 of 34