cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in the Far East (South Korea) on PAYG phone - It set itself up automatically.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I have an old iPhone on 02 Pay as you Go, which I brought to Seoul, South Korea simply because I was using it, right up until I boarded my flight from Heathrow.  I then turned it off, until I return home to England in two weeks.

Here in Korea, I always rent a mobile phone at my arrival airport because it is cheaper and much less hassle than setting up your UK phone to work here (with associated roaming charges, which I have heard are enormous).

I then turned on my iPhone two days ago, simply to use the alarm clock feature on the phone.

When I woke up, I noticed that there was a message from 02 Roaming, saying "Welcome to South Korea"  etc, etc, Enjoy your trip!.  The message said I could not make calls, but I could recieve them, and I could also send/recieve texts.  My iPhone had also automatically connected to the phone network provider SK Telecom.  I did not do anything.  All of this was automatic.

My phone is Pay as you Go.  Will I get sent a bill for this?  I did not want it, have not requested it, and only want to use my iPhone as an alarm clock (which it does brilliantly).

Answers to this would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Michael Livingstone

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

No you won't receive any bill. O2 just inform you that you ate connected to the South Korean network.  All customers using an o2 phone overseas get the message. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

jonsie
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

No you won't receive any bill. O2 just inform you that you ate connected to the South Korean network.  All customers using an o2 phone overseas get the message. 

Message 2 of 5

MI5
  • 144149 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
As you are on PAYG you will not be billed at all as any usage would come out of your credit.
If you turn a phone on for just the alarm clock you need to turn on airplane mode to prevent any phone access to any network, anywhere.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23046 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Instead of the cost of renting a phone, why don't you just get a local Pay & Go sim and swap it? If your O2 sim isn't in the phone you won't get those messages. You'll be on a South Korean network and you can use a phone you're used to.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 5

jonsie
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

Instead of the cost of renting a phone, why don't you just get a local Pay & Go sim and swap it? If your O2 sim isn't in the phone you won't get those messages. You'll be on a South Korean network and you can use a phone you're used to.

Good advice as long as the phone is unlocked. 

Message 5 of 5