cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refurbished iPhone 5 query

Anonymous
Not applicable
Gonna have my introductory post and first post all in one. So first of all, hi everyone!!

I hope this is in the right board. My query is this:

My current contract expires mid June. I want to cut my costs some because I don't feel I am on the best plan for my fairly limited usage.

I looked at a refurbished iPhone 5 at 28 per month which is certainly cheaper than my 42 per month, however here is the issue.

When my daughters phone expired last year I got a Galaxy S4 which I unlocked to take my O2 plan sim card. I gave her my iPhone 4s after unlocking it for her T-Mobile plan.

What I want to do is get the 28 per month plan and use it on my s4 which is obviously 4g ready and give my daughter the iphone5 for her t-mobile plan.

I know the iPhone is not 4g but I live in ne Scotland so not a big issue.

Will it simply be a case of the plan working on my s4 without doing anything else with the existing sim or will the plan change to reflect I have an iPhone and that the nano sim provided will be locked to the plan?

I can order a nano sim from T-Mobile for the iphone but the other question is will the iPhone be unlocked or will I have to do it myself?

Sorry for the lengthy post and I hope it makes sense but after reading problems with live chat I thought I would try the forum.

Thanks for any and all suggestions
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi no you can take out the contract and then ask O2 for any sim you like and they will change the bolt on to a standard one it won't be locked to the iphone the phone however will be locked but O2 will unlock it for free so you would have to leave the sim in the 5 for a few days while O2 unlock it then you can get a micro sim for your s4 free
O2 would unlock the phone when you fill in this form https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

So in short yes you can do what you want to do slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi no you can take out the contract and then ask O2 for any sim you like and they will change the bolt on to a standard one it won't be locked to the iphone the phone however will be locked but O2 will unlock it for free so you would have to leave the sim in the 5 for a few days while O2 unlock it then you can get a micro sim for your s4 free
O2 would unlock the phone when you fill in this form https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

So in short yes you can do what you want to do slight_smile
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Damien. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Just so I'm clear, the iPhone will be delivered with a nano sim for my existing number (should have asked this in first post). I choose to unlock and O2 will do that and it will take a few days. I request a micro sim from O2 which will work with my existing number and I then purchase a nano sim from T-Mobile for the 5 and set it up with iTunes for my daughters plan.

I take it I can keep the same number if I select upgrade option?
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your welcome slight_smile
Yes that is exactly right if you upgrade you keep the same number automatically
You've got it slight_smile
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just upgraded based on what I learned from damien1 and he is absolutely correct in what he said. I did it through live chat and got all the same answers as I expected I would. Hopefully iPhone 5 will be with me by tomorrow. I also ordered a nano sim from T-Mobile which unfortunately cost me £10.20, but apart from that everything's rosy. Thanks again damien.
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your welcome glad I could help slight_smile
Message 6 of 6