cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ownership of device

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
May I ask you guys a question, I upgraded a couple of days ago through Carphone Wearhouse on the 24m pay monthly contract with O2. I was on refresh, paid off my device and took an iPhone. Do or will I actually own the device at some point, because it's not clearly separated from my airtime bill like it used to be on refresh and there isn't an actual price set for it. I do realise it's included in the monthly payments, but when you read both CW and O2 T&C it's not obvious to me. We know a vehicle lease doesn't make you owner at the end of the terms always.
Thanks very much for your time.
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
The phone is yours from day 1 as you are still liable for the entire 24 monthly payments regardless.
You can choose to pay these off once every month all pay the entire chunk in one go.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

The phone will be yours after the 24 months.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

When you take out a 24 month contract with CPW and you have paid your instalments in full...at the end of that 24 months the device is yours to do with as you wish.  My daughter in law had an 18 month contract with CPW...it ended this month. She gave her phone to her mum...and got an S6 with a new contract

Difference with Refresh is you have two bills device and airtime...pay off device and cancel airtime...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Incidentally. you mention leasing phones. Different thing altogether and usually reserved for business users.. The phone you have is on contract (a type of credit agreement as such)..once paid...all yours

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 8

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Yes leasing is totally different, the handset is never yours even though it's possible you could have paid double what the phone is worth. With a contract from cpw the cost of the handset is built into the tariff so once the minimum term has been paid up the phone is yours.

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
The phone is yours from day 1 as you are still liable for the entire 24 monthly payments regardless.
You can choose to pay these off once every month all pay the entire chunk in one go.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks very much for your answers. Glad to hear that, as its sometimes confusing when reading through the contracts. Lovely evening to all!
Message 7 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks very much for your answers. Glad to hear that, as its sometimes confusing when reading through the contracts. Lovely evening to all!

And the same to you @Anonymous wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 8