O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Apple iOS Devices (iPhone, iPad)

Level 1: Joiner
vhirsch

Official Unlock Now Possible!

[ Edited ]
You need to fill out the "Unlock Your Phone" form, which you find here: https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid ... ing%20Form

If you are on a pay-monthly contract, the service is free (you will need to see out your contract of course). If you are on PAYG, I believe O2 charges £15. Also, I understand that they may apply a minimum period before they unlock (which, frankly, is not unreasonable; you could have bought the phone at full price outright).

Hope this helps people here.
Twitter: @vhirsch
Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
T-rex

Officially unlocking iphone

[ Edited ]
You need to fill out the "Unlock Your Phone" form, which you find here: https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid ... ing%20Form

We know - bounav posted this further back in the thread... :womanindifferent:
Please use plain text.
jazzorgan

I just filled out the form. Anybody notice that when it goes through it says "we'll contact you within 28 days". Then it says "if you asked for your iphone to be unlocked, we'll text you within 14 days".

Seems to imply that "asking" for your iphone to be unlocked will elicit a particular response. Let's see what that is.... I just tried an orange 3G sim in my iphone (don't ask how) and I get 5 bars of 3G in my front room compared to 3 bars max of Edge with my O2 sim.

By hook or by crook I will be signing up with Orange in the new year.

Paul
Please use plain text.
Level 3: Ponderer
camperdown9

Re: Official Unlock Now Possible!

[ Edited ]
If you are on a pay-monthly contract, the service is free (you will need to see out your contract of course). If you are on PAYG, I believe O2 charges £15. Also, I understand that they may apply a minimum period before they unlock (which, frankly, is not unreasonable; you could have bought the phone at full price outright).
Hope this helps people here.

Hi Vhirsch

The problem is that lots of people like me wanted to upgrade early from the iPhone 3G to the 3GS. O2 suggested that we could do this by buying a 3GS on PAYG and using it with our iPhone contract sim's. If fact the Apple store in Regent street sold me the iPhone 3GS on payg and did not include a sim as they knew what we were doing. Now it looks like they are saying these 3GS handsets that they suggested we bought to use as upgrades will not be unlocked on request.

So if O2 stick to this policy we will of paid an 18 month contract, a fee towards the iPhone 3G and bought an iPhone 3GS and O2 will never really have to issue us an unlocking code.

Neither O2 or Apple in the UK sell iPhone at the full unlocked price.

Alex
iPhone 4s black 16gb (O2), iPhone 4s white 16gb (Vodafone)
Please use plain text.
oaklandm

Yes, I can see them being a pain with the 3GS models. I can understand their stance, given the fact that they are less than 12 months old. However, it was their suggestion that people upgrade in this way. As my old handset has been sold and I only use my iPhone 3GS on contract this is a little short-sighted of them. If they continue to refuse providing unlocking codes for 3GS handsets (which seems like it will be the case) I'll have to *cough* work around *cough* this problem as I have done previously but I'd rather be running the standard software in all honesty...

I done the same thing when I got my 3GS.. have managed to find the web page that suggested buying the 3GS on payg and there is no mention that you would then be subject to payg terms. No mention of terms and conditions apply when you put your pay monthly sim in.. I have already had many an arguments with 02 over this 'upgrade' and looks like I'll be having many more. Would be interesting to find out how many more people are having trouble after taking O2's advice.
Please use plain text.
Level 3: Ponderer
scottgaz9

unlocking

Has anyone actually managed to complete the online form for unlocking :robotindifferent: every I complete and submit it takes me to another new form for customer service. :womanindifferent:
Please use plain text.
jarvisf

I just got a reply stating that I could now unlock my iPhone, but I had to fill out the form at www.o2.co.uk/unlockmyiphone - that's what I did and where the request came from!!!!
Please use plain text.
Level 5: Ponderer
mitchja

I managed it OK yesterday, but not getting any email confirmation (like you do with other online O2 forms). I even did it again today as well but still no confirmation or any other form of communication (yet)
Please use plain text.
Level 5: Ponderer
fourqtwo

I just got a reply stating that I could now unlock my iPhone, but I had to fill out the form at www.o2.co.uk/unlockmyiphone - that's what I did and where the request came from!!!!

Me too, I completed the form yesterday then get this email today,left hand does not know what the right hand id doing :robotindifferent: :robotindifferent:

Good Evening Ken

Thanks for emailing us to get your iPhone unlocked and I'll surely help you with this matter.

Ken, you'll be happy to know that the process has been changed and now you can get your iPhone unlocked at any point for free of charge. However, you'll still need to honour the remainder of the minimum term of your contract.

It means that if you cancel your contract before 13 January 2009, you'll need to pay the termination fee for the remaining days of your contract.

To get you iPhone unlocked, please complete the unlocking form on o2.co.uk (www.o2.co.uk/unlockmyiphone). It'll take up to 14 days for the iPhone to be unlocked and well text you to confirm the unlock request.

After getting your the phone unlocked, you can place a non-O2 sim into the iPhone and connect it to iTunes via a USB cable. iTunes will then confirm that your iPhone has been successfully unlocked.

I hope I've explained it clearly to you.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Axxxx
O2 Customer Service

Telefonica O2 UK Limited, Registered in England No 1743099. Registered Office: 260 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire SL1
It is important, when your technical equipment is not the best, to believe there will always be a better race; that is a part of my motivation. &quote;Ayrton Senna
fourqtwo (formerly cis01 until username became 'inactive')
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
technome

Yes, I can see them being a pain with the 3GS models. I can understand their stance, given the fact that they are less than 12 months old. However, it was their suggestion that people upgrade in this way. As my old handset has been sold and I only use my iPhone 3GS on contract this is a little short-sighted of them. If they continue to refuse providing unlocking codes for 3GS handsets (which seems like it will be the case) I'll have to *cough* work around *cough* this problem as I have done previously but I'd rather be running the standard software in all honesty...

I done the same thing when I got my 3GS.. have managed to find the web page that suggested buying the 3GS on payg and there is no mention that you would then be subject to payg terms. No mention of terms and conditions apply when you put your pay monthly sim in.. I have already had many an arguments with 02 over this 'upgrade' and looks like I'll be having many more. Would be interesting to find out how many more people are having trouble after taking O2's advice.

Well, you can add me to the list. I'm in the same boat with my 3GS. My contract is up in January and I will be going to Vodafone. I can't get a signal from any network in my flat, so it didn't matter which provider I used. Now that Vodafone are offering a femtocell, they're my only sensible choice. If O2 don't unlock my iPhone when I leave, then I will.

It's that simple...

Unless O2 release a femtocell of their own, of course...
Please use plain text.