cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 travel help!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I'm in desperate need for help.
im currently in Malta with o2 travel activated (set up before I travelled)
i can make calls and texts and also can get 3G yet the Internet will not work neither will any apps as if I have no internet connection at all.

i have rang o2 many many times being passed backwards and forwards and no one seems to have any idea what is happening.
ive been offered compensation but that is no good as I need data.

things I have tried:

removing SIM card and restarting
comple reset of phone
choosing manual network
turning eu Internet off
turning data roaming on.
actually going into the mobile phone shop here in Malta to check if there is a signal problem with the carrier that o2 switches to here.
absolutely nothing has worked and I'm very angry with o2's complete lack of care here.

Thank you
Georgina

Message 1 of 33
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If 3g is showing the phone is working.
It's either a crap network they're connected to or they are throttling o2's roaming connection - possibly due to overloading on the home network.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Unfortunately it's most prob out of O2's hands as you are roaming on a foreign network.
Are there any alternative networks available when you do a manual network selection?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Could this be an issue with the phone itself @MI5? The OP says she is getting a 3G signal and has tried everything possible? It just seems very strange as I am here abroad (in Spain I know)... but never experienced any of those problems at all....

Not said if she has tried acccessing anything over WiFi though?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 33

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's either a crap network they're connected to or they are throttling o2's roaming connection - possibly due to overloading on the home network.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Thanks for that clarification wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 33

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No problem slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 6 of 33

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

When I go to Spain I use Movistar and the signal is good.

Maybe, as the others say, the areas that you are trying to use it are blocked due to hotels/buildings.

Can you not use wifi in the area that you are in?

If you desperately need to use the Internet, you could potentially buy a local sim and see if that works in your phone.

Message 7 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue here.  Very frustrating, and now upsetting as wife is unwell back in UK and need to keep in touch without calling all the time. I work in Luxembourg mid week.  

O2 Travel was working fine from Jan to May 2016 throughout France, Belgium and Lux and now I get no data at all all of June and July.  Calls and texts are fine, but no data. 

Tried manually joining networks and been through the full 10 providers listed, but am left with full bar signal annotated with 'R'.  Nothing works for data, not even 1MB let alone the 100MB until throttled.  Mobile data, Roaming on, all networks options selected, no data limit etc,  resetted, i'm in need of help please.

Message 8 of 33

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I refer back to my previous answer where I said that if your phone is showing a data connection, it os connected.
If it couldn't see a data connection you would not get a notification of it and would see a "!" in the notification bar.
Something must have changed on your phone or account at the point in time you lost the ability to use data.
Was it a software update on the phone (if so, try resetting the network settings or text "active" to 2020) or did you upgrade your account, change sim cards or do something else?
Have you called CS to make sure there are no restrictions or data caps imposed etc......?

Currently using:
Message 9 of 33

synge
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I am in Berlin and am in the same situation as the OP. I activated O2 Travel yesterday but can only make phone calls - no internet access or data at all. I assume that this is not a network issue in a large developed city. I can see 3G displayed in top left corner. Is there a delay in the service being activated? ("My O2" says it was commenced yesterday.) relying on my host's wifi, but this is no good when I am out and about!

All help gratefully received.
Message 10 of 33