cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 shop refused a sim card

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wondered if anyone else had encountered an awkward assistant in an O2 shop.

I have ordered an iphone 6 and wanted to make sure I had a 4G nano sim for when it arrived. I asked my partner who was passing an O2 shop to pop in and collect one. Ive done this many times before and they give you an inactive sim card.

Well the assistant refused point blank and said that they had to do the sim swop in the shop and they can only do it if the account holder is present. I even spoke to here on the phone and she just kept going on and on about security. Yes that would be an issue if they activated the sim card to my number but not just giving an inactive one. She wouldnt have any of it. 

I called CS and they were at a loss to understand why she wouldnt give my partner an inactive sim card. Anyway as it turns out there is a sim card in the box with my iphone 6 and he could tell me the sim card number. 

Incidentally he also thought that if MyO2 showed a parcel number I should get it tomorrow:) 

Great service via Chat - crap service in the O2 shop!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
I know they have tightened security around sim card replacement so maybe it's to do with that. After all, it could be anyone requesting a sim for some dodgy reason......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've not had issues with picking up Payg blank SIM cards but I have heard of O2 staff asking for I.d to take away a contract version.
Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick question and apologies for hijacking this thread but didn't want to start another. I currently have the iPhone 5 so obviously I do not have 4G. I have preordered the 6 on 4G. Will I need a new sim?

Message 4 of 15

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Yes, but it should come with one. If not pick one up in store (take ID) or order from CS on 202.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks!
Message 6 of 15

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Pleasure slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
The O2 shop in Chelmsford is excellent. The staff in there are always most helpful. A pleasure to go in there. The O2 shop in Westfield Stratford also has excellent service. If anyone can get to those shops you will get brilliant service.
Message 8 of 15

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

That's good to know and maybe @Toby can feed it back to the store. It's always good to hear positive comments slight_smile

Message 9 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
The O2 shop in Chelmsford is excellent. The staff in there are always most helpful. A pleasure to go in there. The O2 shop in Westfield Stratford also has excellent service. If anyone can get to those shops you will get brilliant service.

Nice to get some positive feedback...thanks...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 15