cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 repairs travesty - please help!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys - please bear with me - it's a bit long but necessary to tell the tale.

I have an iphone 4s under contract from O2 since Sept 2015.
At the end of Feb I noticed a problem with the microphone - when I received a call I could hear the person calling me, but they couldn't hear me. There was no trauma to the phone and it was working fine otherwise.
I immediately brought it in to my local O2 store. The chap looked at it, confirmed the problem and sent it off to 02 repairs. He reckoned it was a straightforward case and if they couldn't fix it they would simply replace it.
A few days later I got a call from the O2 shop guy - we had neglected to take the lock off the phone - it had been sent back to the shop. I gave him the code and he unlocked it. He then sent it back to O2 repairs. No problem.
Then it gets odd.
A couple of days later he calls me again and says that the company the phone had been sent now no longer did iphone 4s repairs, and so they were sending it back! He apologised and said he found that strange as well. He said he would then send it to the new O2 designated repair company (Nova).
A few days later I received a text from O2 repairs (Nova) to contact them by phone to give some more details about the fault - this I did - there was a problem with the mic. The nice lady I spoke said she would pass the information onto the engineers.
2 days later I got a text on my replacement phone from O2 repairs to say the phone was on its way back to the store. "Great!" I thought - sorted. A matter of minutes after the text I got a call from the O2 shop chap to say the phone still had the fault!!! - It wasn't fixed at all. In addition the O2 repairs company Nova reported that they could not find any fault with the phone!!!!
I just didn't know what to say! I was pretty cheesed off by now.
It gets worse.
The guy in the shop apologised a lot and said he'd send the phone back straight away, with added info for the repairs company.
Whilst away on a break I got a text from Nova, the repairs company to say that they had now found the fault, but because of damage to another part of the phone the warranty was invalidated so I would have to pay circa £120 for them to fix the problem!!!!!!!!??????
I said no way, send that phone back, I'm not paying that. When the phone returned to the shop I went in there and met the manager - he was and is most apologetic and can't believe himself what's happened. I asked him where the was the damage the company said invalidated the warranty. He said the port. Indeed if you looked into the port there is now obvious damage. I asked him does that mean that the phone would charge or not? We checked and it wasn't able to charge at all.
Please note I never bought the phone to them with a port problem - it was a mic issue. The phone was charging fine when I bought it to them, and indeed was charged. Now, after being in their possession the phone was not charging at all, (and now sits lifeless on my desk).
Now since I've had the phone back these last 2+weeks the store manager has been trying to rectify the issue to get me a replacement phone but for a variety of reasons (which I don't fully understand) he seems not to be able to do so. I know he's sent emails verifying that the phone was charging when I first brought it into the shop. Apparently the repairs company Nova have said that the reason they didn't find the fault when it was first in their possession was because "it's temperamental". Can you believe that?! It's not temperamental now - it just doesn't charge. And it wasn't temperamental when I first brought it in because there was NO problem with the port - because it was not damaged!!!

Guys - I'm getting to the end of my tether here. It just seems like an open and shut case to me (and also to the O2 store manager!) but it just seems like higher up the chain they just don't care and I can't see that they are going to replace the phone. The manager is kind of telling he's doing all he can but I just get a sense he's getting nowhere. I think he hopes I just go away

Can any O2 rep reading this help me out? I can assure O2 I will not be letting this go.

Many thanks for your advice in advance - Jerry.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
Until somebody calls this company out for fraudulent operation then they will continue to deceive O2 and their customers.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 11 of 20

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Problem is @Beenherebefore
When they do this kind of thing, if you escalate they insist on having the phone back for "evaluation of the damage"
Then they rectify as much as they can, whilst still not repairing, and then send it back saying no fault found.
Only the well informed and vigilant customers would notice and/or keep records.
Message 12 of 20

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Problem is @Beenherebefore
When they do this kind of thing, if you escalate they insist on having the phone back for "evaluation of the damage"
Then they rectify as much as they can, whilst still not repairing, and then send it back saying no fault found.
Only the well informed and vigilant customers would notice and/or keep records.

Which is exactly what you did @viridis....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 20

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
You know I consider myself quite with it as far as scams are concerned, and things rarely shock me. But, this company that are contracted by O2 have made my mouth hang agape on more than one occasion..

O2 should be all over this trying to distance themselves from such a shower of *** but they don't, they seem to want to carry on oblivious to any shenanigans.

The op has my condolences, they've been given all the tools to rectify this. I do recommend the CEO email route as mentioned in addition to the complaints process though.
Message 14 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
On the topic of records, I can verify dates. Is it possible to obtain records of O2 repairs texts sent and content thereof? I'm going in today to the store to start a complaints process. The guys in the store are completely on my side/ can verify my version of events so I hope by escalating this myself it can be resolved.

Absolutely shocking experience however.

Thanks for all you advice.

J
Message 15 of 20

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
You'll find their hands are more tied than you think. The managers inability to act on his own knowledge shows this and was similar in my case.
I would be calling CS and writing a letter.
Message 16 of 20

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
And by letter, I mean CEO
Message 17 of 20

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

There's very little anyone in store will be able to do to help, unless they're willing to give you their names to back up your complaint. It would be understandable if they didn't want to do that, as it might put their job in jeopardy. Your best course of action is to lodge a formal complaint and email the CEO, as has been suggested.

With the litany of complaints we see about Anovo, it would be hard to believe that O2 aren't aware of the problem. They keep using them because they're cheap. That's not likely to change.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 18 of 20

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
I'd be involving the Police.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 19 of 20

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm Toby, the O2 Community Head. Please send me a PM and we can have a chat about the issues you've had, as well as what to do next.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 20 of 20