cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Pay & Go Sim not activating iPhone 3gs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Recently purchased an "unlocked" iPhone 3gs from eBay for my wife. However, I'm not so sure it is unlocked as it will not work with my Vodafone Sim (excuse the language).

Anyway, the seller, though not admitting the phone maybe locked, informed me he used O2 Network, and assures me this has been the case since he originally purchased it.

I got an O2 Pay & Go Sim today and it still wont activate the iphone or get a signal bar. I read somewhere on here that a Pay & Go Sim will need to be topped-up before it will activate a phone, but it works fine in my other iPhone - obviously can't make calls, but there is an O2 signal showing!

Based on the above, I can only assume the phone is in fact locked to a carrier other than O2 - or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

The seller yesterday contacted O2 and requested an "unlock" code, to which they have replied: "Hi,Your iPhone unlatching request for IMEI011950000***** has been completed. To use a non-O2 Sim, place the Sim into the iPhone and connect to iTunes using a USB cable.  iTunes will confirm that the iPhone has been successfully unlocked".

This isn't working (though I understand it can take some time).

Ultimately I can return the phone for a refund, but as my wife doesn't mind changing from Vodafone to O2, I thought I'd try to sort things out my end.

Any help will be appreciated.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I get a message saying please call back in working hours.  But it was only 5.30 pm in the UK when I tried and live chat says it's open until 22.00 on Sats.

Message 11 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish it was.  Not from here in India.  I've tried four times.

Message 12 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm on a mac.  How do I disable and block those?  Be grateful for any tips.

I've just emailed O2 on their customer services form.  Who knows what will happen to that.

It's all very very frustrating.  

Enough problems in life without this rubbish

Message 13 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's what's written on the contact options page.  It's not specific to me it doesn't seem.

Live Chat is unavailable

Come back between 7am and 11pm to speak to our agents

I'm flummoxed.

Message 14 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144188 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Can't help with a Mac, sorry.
Email has closed down so I guess you'll get an automated response telling you to try live chat.... such is life !!!
I'm sure you have the numbers but if not they are here http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus you'll just have to keeping trying to call I guess 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 15