cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Open Discount on iPhone 6 - Workaround so you can get it....

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am sure I am not alone to discover the utter absurdity and madness some idiot or group of decision making idiots have decided to exclude the new iPhone 6 from the O2 Open scheme on Refresh.

The first part of the madness in this is as far as I know the 30% discount on O2 Open applies to the airtime NOT the price of the phone you purchase on the 24 month 0% side of the Refresh plan. So it makes no sense why O2 open exclude the iPhone 6 as it is not being purchased with a discount.

From my point of view I have no intention of spreading the cost of an iPhone. I have always paid for one upfront from Apple and gone to PAYG or SIM free but would like the 20GB data allowance refresh airtime agreement. There is currently no SIM free option providing 20GB of data allowance for £28 a month, in fact none of the SIM only tariffs have anything above 8GB of data allowance. Less the 30% this is very good value making the £28 refresh 20GB plan less than £20 monthly.

I would simply pay off the iPhone within weeks of getting it on Refresh.

Here is how it is really stupid how you can circumvent the stupid O2 decision to exclusde the iPhone 6 and get the O2 Open discount with an iPhone on refresh - but only if like me you intend to pay for the handset outright:

1. Take out a Refresh plan with the Galaxy S5 - this shares the same 20GB airtime tariff as the iPhone 6 but is included in the O2 Open scheme. In fact it seems to share the same airtime schemes as the iPhone 6.

2. Apply the O2 open discount to get 30% off the airtime.

3. Sell the Glaxy S5 and pocket the cash. You don't even need to open the box.

4. Pay off the Galaxy handset cost from the 0% Refresh 24 month agreement. You still keep the airtime going.

5. Purchase and iPhone 6 unlocked and SIM free from Apple and insert the O2 refresh SIM. You could even take out a 0% credit card that gives 18 months 0% and purchase it over time on that.

6. Hey presto you have an iPhone 6 on Refresh with the O2 Open discount sitting nicely on the airtime.

Barking Mad as you can see....

Alternatively if like me you get 30% off from Vodafone through their Employee Advantage scheme at your work go with them as they honour the discount on an iPhone 6 unlike O2.

Currently I am not sure which option to follow but clearly O2 suffer when it comes to making business decisions.

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93218 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
It seems to have worked out PK for me. My son wants an HTC phone which I will order on my Refresh for him to use GiffGaff pay as you go. I can apply my discount to my tariff and I'm now free to go out and buy a SIM free iPhone 6 through Quidco. Might even apply for the American Express card giving 5% cash back.

Pretty neat tariff iphone 6 128gb sitting on a refresh open tariff with 20 GB data and unlimited calls and texts for £19.80 a month.
Message 22 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable
I assume now I can hold that tariff for some time to come and just buy SIM free phones to work with it. Who needs O2 to buy from?
Message 23 of 38

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Sweet deal slight_smile
Don't forget to call to get the data package switched to iData either.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 24 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable
Think I might call up customer services and gloat about circumventing their stupid rules. Sorry what is idata?
Message 25 of 38

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Yes, keep the tariff forever if you wish slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 26 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable
I will use my 20GB allowance for device browsing and tethering.
Message 27 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's cool I just wanted access to that tariff. Annoying you can't get it on SIM only.
Message 28 of 38

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
iData is the data package you need for an iPhone.
As you are ordering an HTC it will come with standard data, but a call to O2 will get it swapped over for you.

Currently using:
Message 29 of 38

jonsie
  • 93218 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Enjoy it now. idata is needed for the iphone rather than standard data.:smileyhappy:

Message 30 of 38