cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not got any service since changing sim

Anonymous
Not applicable
As I have just finished paying for my handset I have changed to a new sim and 4G. Since doing so last night, my phone is showing 'no service'. Does anyone know how long this this will last for before I have full use of my phone again ? I have tried speaking to O2 Guru and although after 9am there are none available to chat. Mary
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
No it does not I'm afraid @Anonymous

Only the iPhone 5s upwards is 4G compliant.
Message 21 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
To add the iPhone 5 does run 4G but not on o2's chosen spectrum.

One reason why I sold the iPhone 5 to buy the iPhone 5s.
Message 22 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Threads from time ago seem to confirm that the iPhone 5c wasn't able to get 4G

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/iPhone-5-not-ready-for-4G-in-the-UK/td-p/...

Not having an iPhone myself I didn't follow up on it, but I know it caused a great deal of anger from clients who felt that they had been missold

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 23 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks @Anonymous for clarification. I have edited my earlier post to reflect your guidance re iPhones being able to use o2's 4g from the 5s upwards.
Message 24 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
No worries @Anonymous and thank you for inviting me to add to the information sought by the Op.

Unfortunately if the Op wants to utilise 4G they'll have to take the route I did and upgrade to a newer iPhone model , 5s,5c or the iPhone 6 models if 4G is a deal breaker.
Message 25 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

So...as suspected it seems if the Op wants 4G then she will need a new handset....as the new sim will only work in a phone that supports 4g

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Threads from time ago seem to confirm that the iPhone 5c wasn't able to get 4G

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/iPhone-5-not-ready-for-4G-in-the-UK/td-p/...

Not having an iPhone myself I didn't follow up on it, but I know it caused a great deal of anger from clients who felt that they had been missold

@Cleoriff 

Is that a typo as the iPhone 5C will be able to access o2's 4G Services. 

Message 27 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm afraid so @Cleoriff. The new sim will work but only on 2g and 3g.

As you rightly say @Anonymous may have to consider a new handset if 4g is a deal breaker
Message 28 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I took the information from the link I provided....and added the c afterwards which was irrelevant.

However by a process of much elimination we now now that the iPhone the OP is using is not 4G compliant therefore the new 4g sim she was given (by O2 I presume) would not provide the service she was looking for.

As I said she will need a new handset if she wants to access 4G...:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 29 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
As mentioned in other threads, some people are led to believe that the 5 maybe 4G as in the Mobile settings, there are options for 2G/3G/4G which I change between 2G/3G depending on location.
The handset will connect to 4G on other networks providing obviously it is unlatched.
Message 30 of 33