cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No mobile data (sadface)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, hoping someone can help me!

I recently bought a used unlocked iPhone 5s & have put my O2 SIM in. Everything is working perfectly & I'm chuffed as nuts with it.

The only thing bugging me at the minute is that mobile data is not working. When trying to view a page on Chrome it says "Unable to connect to the internet. Wi-fi & mobile data are turned off. The page can be loaded once you connect to a network. Error code: ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED"

I have cellular data turned on, and I have checked all my APN settings which seem to be correct as far as I can see. I have removed the SIM & given it a clean which hasn't worked. I've reset the network settings which hasn't worked either.

I have checked my partner's 5 to see if his settings match mine & the only thing I can see different is his phone, when going SETTINGS > CELLULAR & scroll to the bottom he has a huge long list under "USE CELLULAR DATA FOR" with a ton of apps. Mine only has FaceTime & Passbook in the list.

Is there a way to add the other apps that need to use the mobile data? Any help really gratefully received at this point, I'm at a loss. Thank you.

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You need to call customer service and and ask them to change your data bolt on to idata rather than the standard bolt on. In the meantime you can change the APN settings to mobile.o2.co.uk which will give you data access but you won't be able to use other features such as video voice mail.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

Can I ask where you purchased the phone from? I ask, as you have checked all the settings and they appear to be correct, but I wonder as this is a second hand phone whether it has had the IMEI blocked....and been reported as lost or stolen? A common occurrence sadly slight_frown

You can check whether it has been blocked here..

http://www.checkmend.com/uk/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply @Cleoriff . I bought it from a used phone shop, they do part exchange of phones and repairs, new screens, cases etc. Would it only affect the mobile data if the IMEI had been blocked? & is there a way to find out if it has been reported lost or stolen? Thanks very much.

Edited to add: I've just seen your link, thanks!

Edit #2: all clear on the report. Still none the wiser! Help

Message 3 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for your reply @Cleoriff . I bought it from a used phone shop, they do part exchange of phones and repairs, new screens, cases etc. Would it only affect the mobile data if the IMEI had been blocked? & is there a way to find out if it has been reported lost or stolen? Thanks very much.

Edited to add: I've just seen your link, thanks!

You can check via the checkmend link given above re whether reported lost or stolen. It could also be the mobile data settings but as you say you have checked them and they are all correct I can't help with that aspect unfortunately (not being an iPhone user)

Tomorrow morning will see others on here that will be able to give you further advice on the settings.

I have only advised ruling out whether it has been barred as we are seeing more and more of this on the forum. People selling a phone...then report it lost or stolen ...and the phone gets barred. ...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi again..If you have checked the IMEI and its clear, then as I said in my last post, pop back on here in the morning for help with iphone mobile data settings.... (being a samsung lass I can't help with those at all) Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 13

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Have you changed your account to an iPhone one with O2, if for example you had an Android one before?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @perksie , I did indeed have an Android before. However when I sign into my O2 account it seems to know I have an iPhone now. Is there a way to make sure the account has been changed to an iPhone for sure? Thanks for your reply!

Message 7 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

hi @Anonymous 

I have just found this...it shows you how to change settings or check them (to enable internet on an iPhone O2)

http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/o2-apn-settings#o2%20iPhone%20APN%20MMS%20mobile%20internet%20settings

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 13

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You need to call customer service and and ask them to change your data bolt on to idata rather than the standard bolt on. In the meantime you can change the APN settings to mobile.o2.co.uk which will give you data access but you won't be able to use other features such as video voice mail.

Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your help. @jonsie was spot on, i did not have the idata bolt on. Hopefully now resolved. 

Thanks!

Message 10 of 13