O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Apple iOS Devices (iPhone, iPad)

Level 2: Apprentice
snoopystorm

New SIM card for iphone 5

As we are all aware the iphone 5 was released yeterday with some minor differences over the 4S. The main difference would have to be the SIM card.

According to the comparison page, http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/compare-iphones/ the following appears on the iphone 5 under SIM -

Nano-SIM iPhone 5 is not compatible with existing micro-SIM cards.

As far as I am aware, and after a discussion with an advisor via chat, there are no plans as yet for a roll out of Nano-SIM's, in-fact he had to go and check via the link above to see what I was on about.

Looks like those on PAYG will have to wait for the SIM to become available.

#BringOutTheNano

iPhone 5 ordered - bring on the nano
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 222
Kudos: 949
Solutions: 1,018

Re: New SIM card for iphone 5

o2 have already posted a page that shows the nano sim and sim swap process http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/iphone-5

says this

The new iPhone uses a nano sim and it's smaller than a micro sim. We'll give you a nano sim when you get the new iPhone.

2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
snoopystorm

[ Edited ]

thats only just gone on then as it wasnt there earlier when I looked, nor was it on there when the advisor 'went to check the apple site' lol

Please use plain text.
Jamey

That's no use if you're not taking out a new contract though.

As I posted in the other thread...

I am planning to buy an iPhone 5 outright from Apple and stay on my existing cheap monthly contract with O2.

So I need a nano sim but I won't be buying a handset from O2. Called up just now. Conversation went like this:

Me: "Hello, I'd like to order a nano-SIM for the new iPhone 5 please."

O2 staff: "You'll get one when you buy the phone"

Me: "Ah, sorry, I forgot to say that I'll be buying the handset elsewhere, but want to stay on O2 on my existing price plan"

O2 staff: "Oh... Err, that's very rare, I've worked here for years and heard of that only, ooh, three times, maybe."

Me: "I see, well is it possible for me to register for a nano-sim?"

O2 staff: "No, they're not available yet, we haven't got any."

Me: "Is there any way for me to register in advance for when they are available?"

O2 staff: "Well the phone hasn't been released yet so there might be something nearer the time"

Me: "Well, true, it's not released yet but it's going to be released in one week, and most companies these days like to quote five working days for shipping, so you can see why I'm keep to pre-order a nano-sim."

O2 staff: "Like I say, try again nearer the time."

Me: "Try again where? On the website?"

O2 staff: "Oh no, because this is such a niche thing with someone buying an iPhone outright that they wouldn't put it on the website, no."

Me: "So shall I keep calling up every day and pestering you guys?"

O2 staff: "Oh no, don't be calling pestering us, no. Maybe try the stores."

Me: "So I won't be able to order a nano-sim for delivery, I'll have to go to the stores?"

O2 staff: "Yes."

Etc etc, you get the idea.

Please use plain text.
Level 6: Acolyte
MiamiGuy

The best people to ask about nano-Sims are Apple. This is news to O2 as it is all new to us.

Apple created the design, so answers from Apple for now. O2 will no doubt be trained on these shortly once all the information is released to them by Apple.

O2 will then mass produce these bad boys in time for the launch.

I'm a Telefónica UK (O2) employee but post in a personal capacity. As such, views are my own and not those of the company.
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
Baritus

Hi Jamey. I want to do the same thing as you. Post if you have success. I'll try too and let you know if I find a way first. Simon
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 222
Kudos: 949
Solutions: 1,018

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/07/17/euro_mobile_networks_hoarding_nano_sims_for_iphone_5_launch/ loks like stockpiles have been orderd

2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
snoopystorm

Just spoke to an Apple guru and they haven't confirmed carriers yet, as for Nano-SIM they will release the relevant info to the carriers as soon as they are confirmed.

I mentioned I would be buying direct from them and was told I would get an email shortly regarding the Nano-SIM and the options available once everthing is confirmed. I will post here with the info I get

Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
Big_G

Hi, I ventured into an O2 shop.  The lady there said I can pre-order the device on the Apple website, and then go into the O2 store and do a SIM swap to get the new nano-SIM.

I hope this is true, as that is what I'm planning on doing.

Please use plain text.
snoopystorm

according to the iphone 5 info on O2 the Nano-SIM will be made available for contract phones only and will not decide until general release about sims for PAYG.....

Please use plain text.