cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Carrier update 24.1

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All

I had a prompt to install new carrier settings at the weekend. My version is now O2 24.1. I have since noticed that it has removed the option to select 4G/3G/2G and replaced it with the old enable 4G toggle. I am really annoyed as I live in a marginal 3G area so often lock my phone to 2G when at home.

I hope this is reversed in a future update.

Graham.
Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK I'll not pester them on web chat about it any more then slight_smile

Message 51 of 59

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I'm sure they have been testing it in some areas but I don't have any proof as yet, although I have seen the VoLTE notification pop up on my phone briefly.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 52 of 59

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

I can also advise that I've had terrible problems with the latest carrier mucking up the software completely.

I never had a problem with the previous carrier, but when it updated to 24.1 I don't think it installed correctly as my iPhone 6s+ would not hold onto a 3G signal. It would show 5 bars, then 1 then say network searching for 5 seconds, then show 5 bars and just keep circling like that.

Strange this is that I had the same issue with every sim from other networks as well. But as my phone has only had my o2 sim in ever and I never had an issue until 24.1 I've put it down to the carrier update,

2G and 4G however would work perfectly and never miss a beat, it just refused to connect to a 3G network for longer than 30 seconds. 

Tried all the resets and nothing worked. In the end I had to do a master reset and since then worked perfect and held onto the 3G roaming network.

Strange one it was

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 53 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had the same issue - not great signal on constant 3G. I don't see why they removed the 2G toggle  espeically becuase they admitted that they use it sometimes for diagnostics, and even though I complained I never got an answer back 😞 

Message 54 of 59

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

I've also no idea why they removed it.  I can tell you that it's still there on the other networks on my other iPhone.  It makes no sense and it's only the iPhone 6 and 6s+. Which is puzzling.

Did you follow up the complaint?

Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 55 of 59

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The quote from o2 was that it was done "to give users the best possible data experience" ie they don't want anyone to use 2g anymore (probably because they are going to farm off all the old 1800 2g capacity to 4g)?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 56 of 59

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Well it sure worked for me. I couldn't use any data on 3G at all as it would cause the networks to reboot. 

Got it to love how they think and that they are taking customer option away from us. 

Message 57 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have chased up my complaint and waiting to hear from them again. I think it's ridiculous that they have taken the option away from us. Even the guy who I spoke to at O2 said the same thing but it's down to others and not him. I don't have any wifi at my work so my phone is on 3G all day whereas I used to have it on 2G and then I'd switch to 3G if I needed. Does having your phone on 3G all day affect battery life or use more data? 

Message 58 of 59

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
As long as you have a good 3g signal, battery won't be effected and you won't use more data than you did before by turning on 3g when needed.

Currently using:
Message 59 of 59