cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone was locked by O2 even though I was never a customer

Anonymous
Not applicable

My iPhone 5 which from the day I got it was using a Giffgaff sim. Now that 4G is pretty much standard and O2 stupidly didnt think about that, I want to leave Giffgaff. I purchased a sim only rolling contract from Three tried to insert it into my phone and discovered it was locked. I contacted Giffgaff they told me that they do not have the power to lock the phones as they use O2's network. So then I contacted O2 via the live chat and over the phone, they then denied that they locked it. I checked with Apple and they confirmed that it was indeed locked by O2. So again I contacted O2 told them what Apple had said and they proceeded to tell me there is nothing they can do unless I have an O2 number, very reluctently (as I know how awful O2 actually are) I bought an O2 pay and go sim. From the very first minute I got the sim O2 shining customer service showed how bad they actually were, by misinforming me with lead to me being under £15 credit which I needed to top up, they denied they made the mistake and told me I HAD to top up another £10. I finanly got through to someone on the phone and they sorted that issue. It took multiple days for my IMEI to register to O2 before I could even begin the unlocking process. Now I'm in the unlocking stage and I expect to be up until the very last minute even though I have informed how urgent this is that I have a phone as I will be leaving home without any means of contact. 

Thanks for forcing me to this brilliant network and your great levels of co operation!

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable
Then it would have had to come directly from the Apple Store or it's online store if it was Sim Free. These are unlocked to all networks, never lockout and cost full Retail Price.

Let us know how you get on and good luck.
Message 11 of 39

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
It locked to o2 as that would have been the carrier recognised by the phone, seen as how gg is o2.
It's very common issue on the gg forum and you can only blame Apple for the way they set the phones to lock on first sim unless you buy a sim free phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 39

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
It locked to o2 as that would have been the carrier recognised by the phone, seen as how gg is o2.
It's very common issue on the gg forum and you can only blame Apple for the way they set the phones to lock on first sim unless you buy a sim free phone.

That's what I was trying to explain....

Message 13 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its not Apple fault, O2 should just unlock easily instead of making a big fuss about it.

Message 14 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I appreciate your frustration as you know that you've never used an O2 SIM card in it ,but as being explained as giffgaff is a virtual network that runs on O2, the iPhone has unfortunately reacted and for some reason locked out to O2.

O2 will see the iPhones details as locked to their Network ,and as such would only unlock via the ways your aware of and via the fee.

To Not pay the fee you could have asked someone on an O2 contract to put their sim in the iPhone , make some calls to latch it to their account ,and they request the unlock.

It's an unfortunate set of circumstances that your caught up in and is a learning curve for the future.

I believe the Networks ask Apple to have units sold on contracts to lock out so perhaps the initial subsidy on the phones can be locked out.

However with O2 not predominately offering the Refresh Tariff where the person pays the Full Amount
For the iPhones / phones on a phone plan they IMO should no longer lock out !

Hope all pans out ok for you.
Message 15 of 39

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Its not Apple fault, O2 should just unlock easily instead of making a big fuss about it.

O2 will unlock it without fuss, if you follow the correct process.

Until it is used with an O2 number though, they can't see it on the system and therefore can't generate the unlock.

If you do the same in future, put an O2 sim in it first and then a gg sim (it will still work on both sims) then at least you have registered the phone to O2's systems.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 39

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

If the correct process is followed, the unlock is easy and straightforward.

The phone has to have an O2 sim.

It has to be used for calls on the network.

There has to be £15 credit available when the form is submitted.

Unlock follows within days.

Message 17 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

This process has been everything but simple. I followed all the procedures and my IMEI was registered on Tuesday (8th) and I requested the unlock straight away and was told 72 hours. I informed multiple 'gurus' about the urgency of this and asked for this to be processed sooner than 72 hours, I was told that they could not personally speed it up but they would put a note on my account anyway. It's now Friday (11th) and about 75 hours have passed since the request, still not unlocked. I opened a chat with another 'guru' earlier and they said that it has not been processed yet and would take another 72 hours. I told him that was unacceptable and I have been really inconvenienced by this as I have had meetings away from home and had to borrow a relatives phone for the day. He said that he guarentee that it would be done within 24 hours. 

Message 18 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thus us the official help link from O2

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-your-iphone-and-using-it-on-another-network

We as customers can't elaborate really.
Message 19 of 39

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Webchat unfortunately can be frustrating and with the problems you are having I would speak to customer service. Have you tried another sim in your phone? Just a thought, as you don't always get a confirmation email or text.

Message 20 of 39